I'll start the ball rolling.
Australia follows

Frequency Band (MHz)
Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)

915 to 928
1 watt

2400 to 2483.5
4 watts
(devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater
than 1 MHz)

2400 to 2483.5
500 milliwatts
(frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)

5725 to 5875
1 watt

"Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a resource that lists the legal power output (mW) of an Access
> Point, by country?

pat

Expert

I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the output
levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to be
legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC allows in
the US.

"BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'll start the ball rolling.
> Australia follows
>
> Frequency Band (MHz)
> Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)
>
> 915 to 928
> 1 watt
>
> 2400 to 2483.5
> 4 watts
> (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth
greater
> than 1 MHz)
>
> 2400 to 2483.5
> 500 milliwatts
> (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)
>
> 5725 to 5875
> 1 watt
>

> "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a resource that lists the legal power output (mW) of an Access
> > Point, by country?

IIRC the US is based on EIRP (Effective Radiated Power) which takes into
account the loss of the coax and the gain of the antenna rather than a pure
wattage figure - not sure what the maximum EIRP is here in the US though.

Don Woodward

> I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the output
> levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to be
> legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC allows
in
> the US.
>

> "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'll start the ball rolling.
> > Australia follows
> >
> > Frequency Band (MHz)
> > Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)
> >
> > 915 to 928
> > 1 watt
> >
> > 2400 to 2483.5
> > 4 watts
> > (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth
> greater
> > than 1 MHz)
> >
> > 2400 to 2483.5
> > 500 milliwatts
> > (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)
> >
> > 5725 to 5875
> > 1 watt
> >

> > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a resource that lists the legal power output (mW) of an
Access
> > > Point, by country?

I believe you can find maximum EIRP tables in the 802.11 standard on the
IEEE.org web-site, as well as on the Cisco web-site.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the output
> levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to be
> legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC allows
in
> the US.
>

> "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'll start the ball rolling.
> > Australia follows
> >
> > Frequency Band (MHz)
> > Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)
> >
> > 915 to 928
> > 1 watt
> >
> > 2400 to 2483.5
> > 4 watts
> > (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth
> greater
> > than 1 MHz)
> >
> > 2400 to 2483.5
> > 500 milliwatts
> > (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)
> >
> > 5725 to 5875
> > 1 watt
> >

> > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a resource that lists the legal power output (mW) of an
Access
> > > Point, by country?

In the USA it depends on whether one is using a directional antenna or an
omni. For an omni the max EIRP is 1 watt.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"News Account" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> IIRC the US is based on EIRP (Effective Radiated Power) which takes into
> account the loss of the coax and the gain of the antenna rather than a
pure
> wattage figure - not sure what the maximum EIRP is here in the US though.
>
> Don Woodward
>

> "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the
output
> > levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to be
> > legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC allows
> in
> > the US.
> >

> > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I'll start the ball rolling.
> > > Australia follows
> > >
> > > Frequency Band (MHz)
> > > Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)
> > >
> > > 915 to 928
> > > 1 watt
> > >
> > > 2400 to 2483.5
> > > 4 watts
> > > (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth
> > greater
> > > than 1 MHz)
> > >
> > > 2400 to 2483.5
> > > 500 milliwatts
> > > (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)
> > >
> > > 5725 to 5875
> > > 1 watt
> > >

> > > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Access

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

For North America, the 802.11b/g standards state limits of 1 watt, for
Europe 100 mW. Transmitters capable of more than 100 mW are required by the
standard to provide the ability to limit the power to 100 mW or less.

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> I believe you can find maximum EIRP tables in the 802.11 standard on the
> IEEE.org web-site, as well as on the Cisco web-site.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the
output
> > levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to be
> > legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC allows
> in
> > the US.
> >

> > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I'll start the ball rolling.
> > > Australia follows
> > >
> > > Frequency Band (MHz)
> > > Maximum Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP)
> > >
> > > 915 to 928
> > > 1 watt
> > >
> > > 2400 to 2483.5
> > > 4 watts
> > > (devices other than frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth
> > greater
> > > than 1 MHz)
> > >
> > > 2400 to 2483.5
> > > 500 milliwatts
> > > (frequency hopping devices with a bandwidth greater than 1 MHz)
> > >
> > > 5725 to 5875
> > > 1 watt
> > >

> > > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Access

Anyone know the maximum EIRP in the USA for directional antenna on
802.11a/b/g devices?

Don Woodward

> In the USA it depends on whether one is using a directional antenna or an
> omni. For an omni the max EIRP is 1 watt.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "News Account" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > IIRC the US is based on EIRP (Effective Radiated Power) which takes into
> > account the loss of the coax and the gain of the antenna rather than a
> pure
> > wattage figure - not sure what the maximum EIRP is here in the US
though.

> > Don Woodward
> >

> > "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm talking about consumer use of 802.11g, for example. Surely the
> output
> > > levels you quoted are for special use, because they seem way high to
be
> > > legal. These would be considered multiple times over what the FCC
allows
> > in
> > > the US.
> > >

> > > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > greater

MHz)

> > Access

antonio

gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> For North America, the 802.11b/g standards state limits of 1 watt,

I doubt that very much AFAIK the max in the US is also 100 mw!

--
Groeten,

Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

PrismDom.ini ...

[DOMAINS]
DomainName16=FCC
DomainName32=IC
DomainName48=ETSI
DomainName49=Spain
DomainName50=France
DomainName64=MPHPT

[US]
DomainName=FCC
GroupA=FCCA
GroupBG=FCCBG

[CA]
DomainName=IC
GroupA=ICA
GroupBG=FCCBG

[AT]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[BE]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[DK]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[FI]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[DE]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[IE]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[IS]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[IT]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[CH]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[LI]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[NO]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[NL]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[SE]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[GB]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[HU]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[PL]
DomainName=ETSI
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[SG]
GroupA=GP03A
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[HK]
GroupA=GP02A
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[KR]
GroupA=GP01A
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[AU]
GroupA=ICA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[NZ]
GroupA=ICA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[ZA]
GroupA=GP01A
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[CN]
GroupA=ETSIA
GroupBG=ETSIBG

[JP]
DomainName=MPHPT
GroupA=MPHPTA
GroupBG=MPHPTBG

[TW]
GroupA=FCCA

;******************************************
; FCC 802.11 B and G
;******************************************
[FCCBG]
Channel1=1
Frequency1=2412
Power1=1000
Db1=30

Channel2=2
Frequency2=2417
Power2=1000
Db2=30

Channel3=3
Frequency3=2422
Power3=1000
Db3=30

Channel4=4
Frequency4=2427
Power4=1000
Db4=30

Channel5=5
Frequency5=2432
Power5=1000
Db5=30

Channel6=6
Frequency6=2437
Power6=1000
Db6=30

Channel7=7
Frequency7=2442
Power7=1000
Db7=30

Channel8=8
Frequency8=2447
Power8=1000
Db8=30

Channel9=9
Frequency9=2452
Power9=1000
Db9=30

Channel10=10
Frequency10=2457
Power10=1000
Db10=30

Channel11=11
Frequency11=2462
Power11=1000
Db11=30

;******************************************
; FCC 802.11 A
;******************************************
[FCCA]
Channel1=36
Frequency1=5180
Power1=50
Db1=17

Channel2=40
Frequency2=5200
Power2=50
Db2=17

Channel3=44
Frequency3=5220
Power3=50
Db3=17

Channel4=48
Frequency4=5240
Power4=50
Db4=17

Channel5=52
Frequency5=5260
Power5=250
Db5=24

Channel6=56
Frequency6=5280
Power6=250
Db6=24

Channel7=60
Frequency7=5300
Power7=250
Db7=24

Channel8=64
Frequency8=5320
Power8=250
Db8=24

Channel9=149
Frequency9=5745
Power9=1000
Db9=30

Channel10=153
Frequency10=5765
Power10=1000
Db10=30

Channel11=157
Frequency11=5785
Power11=1000
Db11=30

Channel12=161
Frequency12=5805
Power12=1000
Db12=30

;******************************************
; IC 802.11 A
;******************************************
[ICA]
Channel1=36
Frequency1=5180
Power1=50
Db1=17

Channel2=40
Frequency2=5200
Power2=50
Db2=17

Channel3=44
Frequency3=5220
Power3=50
Db3=17

Channel4=48
Frequency4=5240
Power4=50
Db4=17

Channel5=52
Frequency5=5260
Power5=250
Db5=24

Channel6=56
Frequency6=5280
Power6=250
Db6=24

Channel7=60
Frequency7=5300
Power7=250
Db7=24

Channel8=64
Frequency8=5320
Power8=250
Db8=24

Channel9=149
Frequency9=5745
Power9=1000
Db9=30

Channel10=153
Frequency10=5765
Power10=1000
Db10=30

Channel11=157
Frequency11=5785
Power11=1000
Db11=30

Channel12=161
Frequency12=5805
Power12=1000
Db12=30

;******************************************
; ETSI 802.11 B and G
;******************************************
[ETSIBG]
Channel1=1
Frequency1=2412
Power1=100
Db1=20

Channel2=2
Frequency2=2417
Power2=100
Db2=20

Channel3=3
Frequency3=2422
Power3=100
Db3=20

Channel4=4
Frequency4=2427
Power4=100
Db4=20

Channel5=5
Frequency5=2432
Power5=100
Db5=20

Channel6=6
Frequency6=2437
Power6=100
Db6=20

Channel7=7
Frequency7=2442
Power7=100
Db7=20

Channel8=8
Frequency8=2447
Power8=100
Db8=20

Channel9=9
Frequency9=2452
Power9=100
Db9=20

Channel10=10
Frequency10=2457
Power10=100
Db10=20

Channel11=11
Frequency11=2462
Power11=100
Db11=20

Channel12=12
Frequency12=2467
Power12=100
Db12=20

Channel13=13
Frequency13=2472
Power13=100
Db13=20

;******************************************
; ETSI 802.11 A
;******************************************
[ETSIA]
Channel1=36
Frequency1=5180
Power1=50
Db1=17

Channel2=40
Frequency2=5200
Power2=50
Db2=17

Channel3=44
Frequency3=5220
Power3=50
Db3=17

Channel4=48
Frequency4=5240
Power4=50
Db4=17

Channel5=52
Frequency5=5260
Power5=200
Db5=23

Channel6=56
Frequency6=5280
Power6=200
Db6=23

Channel7=60
Frequency7=5300
Power7=200
Db7=23

Channel8=64
Frequency8=5320
Power8=200
Db8=23

Channel9=100
Frequency9=5500
Power9=1000
Db9=30

Channel10=104
Frequency10=5520
Power10=1000
Db10=30

Channel11=108
Frequency11=5540
Power11=1000
Db11=30

Channel12=112
Frequency12=5560
Power12=1000
Db12=30

Channel13=116
Frequency13=5580
Power13=1000
Db13=30

Channel14=120
Frequency14=5600
Power14=1000
Db14=30

Channel15=124
Frequency15=5620
Power15=1000
Db15=30

Channel16=128
Frequency16=5640
Power16=1000
Db16=30

Channel17=132
Frequency17=5660
Power17=1000
Db17=30

Channel18=136
Frequency18=5680
Power18=1000
Db18=30

Channel19=140
Frequency19=5700
Power19=1000
Db19=30

;******************************************
; MPHPT 802.11 B and G
;******************************************
[MPHPTBG]
Channel1=1
Frequency1=2412
Power1=100
Db1=20

Channel2=2
Frequency2=2417
Power2=100
Db2=20

Channel3=3
Frequency3=2422
Power3=100
Db3=20

Channel4=4
Frequency4=2427
Power4=100
Db4=20

Channel5=5
Frequency5=2432
Power5=100
Db5=20

Channel6=6
Frequency6=2437
Power6=100
Db6=20

Channel7=7
Frequency7=2442
Power7=100
Db7=20

Channel8=8
Frequency8=2447
Power8=100
Db8=20

Channel9=9
Frequency9=2452
Power9=100
Db9=20

Channel10=10
Frequency10=2457
Power10=100
Db10=20

Channel11=11
Frequency11=2462
Power11=100
Db11=20

Channel12=12
Frequency12=2467
Power12=100
Db12=20

Channel13=13
Frequency13=2472
Power13=100
Db13=20

Channel14=14
Frequency14=2484
Power14=100
Db14=20

;******************************************
; MPHPT 802.11 A
;******************************************
[MPHPTA]
Channel1=-16
Frequency1=4920
Power1=250
Db1=24

Channel2=-12
Frequency2=4940
Power2=250
Db2=24

Channel3=-8
Frequency3=4960
Power3=250
Db3=24

Channel4=-4
Frequency4=4980
Power4=250
Db4=24

Channel5=8
Frequency5=5040
Power5=250
Db5=24

Channel6=12
Frequency6=5060
Power6=250
Db6=24

Channel7=16
Frequency7=5080
Power7=250
Db7=24

Channel8=34
Frequency8=5170
Power8=200
Db8=23

Channel9=38
Frequency9=5190
Power9=200
Db9=23

hannel10=42
Frequency10=5210
Power10=200
Db10=23

Channel11=46
Frequency11=5230
Power11=200
Db11=23

;******************************************
; GROUP1 802.11 A
;******************************************
[GP01A]
Channel1=149
Frequency1=5745
Power1=200
Db1=23

Channel2=153
Frequency2=5765
Power2=200
Db2=23

Channel3=157
Frequency3=5785
Power3=200
Db3=23

Channel4=161
Frequency4=5805
Power4=200
Db4=23

;******************************************
; GROUP2 802.11 A
;******************************************
[GP02A]
Channel1=149
Frequency1=5745
Power1=1000
Db1=30

Channel2=153
Frequency2=5765
Power2=1000
Db2=30

Channel3=157
Frequency3=5785
Power3=1000
Db3=30

Channel4=161
Frequency4=5805
Power4=1000
Db4=30

;******************************************
; GROUP3 802.11 A
;******************************************
[GP03A]
Channel1=36
Frequency1=5180
Power1=100
Db1=20

Channel2=40
Frequency2=5200
Power2=100
Db2=20

Channel3=44
Frequency3=5220
Power3=100
Db3=20

Channel4=48
Frequency4=5240
Power4=100
Db4=20

Channel5=149
Frequency5=5745
Power5=100
Db5=20

Channel6=153
Frequency6=5765
Power6=100
Db6=20

Channel7=157
Frequency7=5785
Power7=100
Db7=20

Channel8=161
Frequency8=5805
Power8=100
Db8=20

antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl (AnToNio) wrote in news:1getx5q.1dm6zsc1bh0rauN%
antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl:

>> For North America, the 802.11b/g standards state limits of 1 watt,
>
> I doubt that very much AFAIK the max in the US is also 100 mw!

I believe 1W is the maximum output the FCC allows on the 2.4ghz band. You
can find legal high-power equipment easily online such as
http://www.netgate.com or http://www.rflinx.com

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"AnToNio" <antoniongXXX@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > For North America, the 802.11b/g standards state limits of 1 watt,
>
> I doubt that very much AFAIK the max in the US is also 100 mw!

From IEEE Std 802.11b-1999, clauses 18.4.7.1, 18,4,7,2m and table 115:

"The maximum allowable output power, as measured in accordance with
practices specified by the appropriate regulatory bodies, is shown in Table
115. In the USA, the radiated emissions should also conform with the ANSI
uncontrolled radiation emission standards (IEEE Std C95.1-1999).

Table 115-Transmit power levels
Maximum output power | Geographic location | Compliance document
1000 mW | USA | FCC 15.247

100 mW (EIRP) | Europe | ETS 300-328

10 mW/MHz | Japan | MPT ordinance for Regulating Radio Equip

18.4.7.2 Transmit power level control

Power control shall be provided for transmitted power greater than 100 mW. A
maximum of four power levels

may be provided. As a minimum, a radio capable of transmission greater than
100 mW shall be capable

of switching power back to 100 mW or less."

Most commodity devices are 100 mW (typically a lot less). For one thing, it
permits the same hardware to be sold in North America and Europe. For
another thing, if you put more than 100 mW into a laptop adapter, it gets a
lot harder to comply with the ANSI radiation requirements, which specify
maximum human exposure times for various power densities, as a function of
frequency.

> --
> Groeten,
>
> Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

According to http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1428941, if
the antenna is less than 6 dBi (omni) then the EIRP may be 1 watt. If the
antenna is 6 dBi or greater (directional) then the EIRP may be 4 watts.
Page 233 of the 802.11 spec confirms the first, and
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080101c27.html
confirms the latter.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.