Question Legion 5i pro BSOD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 5, 2022
Yesterday all of the sudden i keep getting " clock_watchdog_timeout " randomly. Laptop could be idle or just surfing the net and it would crash and be stuck at 0% diagnostic so I have to manually shut it off. I have tried running SFC and using lenovo diagnostics. And it all says it's fine.
It happend probably 20 times in the last 24 hours, laptop is legion 5i pro i7-11800h with 3060 and less that 8 months old. I still have a warranty but I would need to ship it to another country which is a hassle. I also reinstalling the windows and issue is still there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Machine check exception is a hardware error.
  • crashing in safe mode means its not a driver
  • clean install didn't fix it
  • memory passes
  • nvme is questionable only as we can't run diagnostics on it
  • CPU seems okay

we can't really test anything else.

I would - I know its a hassle - return PC for a warranty repair. I cannot tell you what cause is but it could be something we can't check or replace... motherboard

i wouldn't have deleted a file called kernalbase as its part of windows - https://www.processlibrary.com/en/directory/files/kernelbase/5173/

Reactions: Gerleno
Oct 5, 2022
Machine check exception is a hardware error.
  • crashing in safe mode means its not a driver
  • clean install didn't fix it
  • memory passes
  • nvme is questionable only as we can't run diagnostics on it
  • CPU seems okay
we can't really test anything else.

I would - I know its a hassle - return PC for a warranty repair. I cannot tell you what cause is but it could be something we can't check or replace... motherboard

i wouldn't have deleted a file called kernalbase as its part of windows - https://www.processlibrary.com/en/directory/files/kernelbase/5173/
Well I guess you are right, even tho i was told before i purchased that warranty would be covered in EU , but turns out that's not the case for legion models which sucks(its only covered in 3 other eu countries). Considering it will take about 3 days to ship it, another 10 days if I'm lucky to fix it, and then they have to ship it to the address in that country to my old adress there since they dont ship it outside country origin and i have to ask a relative to ship it back, it will take 20 days of I'm lucky to get laptop home and hopefully it's fixed.

I didnt delete kernalbase, I uninstalled alienware command center that is using a path to kernel.

Thanks again for trying to help

Colif

Win 11 Master
I didnt delete kernalbase, I uninstalled alienware command center that is using a path to kernel.
ah okay.

I hope they fix it then. Shame you can't give it back to the people who said it would be covered.

If you had a spare nvme you could use it and see if the problem is the drive, but thats about all I can think of. Not sure I would buy one to test that idea. Its up to you. It could be a waste of money

Reactions: Gerleno