Question Legion 5i pro BSOD

Oct 5, 2022
Yesterday all of the sudden i keep getting " clock_watchdog_timeout " randomly. Laptop could be idle or just surfing the net and it would crash and be stuck at 0% diagnostic so I have to manually shut it off. I have tried running SFC and using lenovo diagnostics. And it all says it's fine.
It happend probably 20 times in the last 24 hours, laptop is legion 5i pro i7-11800h with 3060 and less that 8 months old. I still have a warranty but I would need to ship it to another country which is a hassle. I also reinstalling the windows and issue is still there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
have you gone to lenovo site and run automatic updates?
Not sure if this is right one just from description - legion Pro

It could be a bios update might help, clock watchdog can be the CPU, which would explain why it survives reinstalls but I would prefer to see dumps before jumping to conclusions.

Oct 5, 2022
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
have you gone to lenovo site and run automatic updates?
Not sure if this is right one just from description - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ru/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-5-pro-16ach6h/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS/UEFI&cid=au:sem:eek:cpzaw&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1vSZBhDuARIsAKZlijQX9GYb0hStU8NLowp9iHfFMqEUIhRSCqsPvkEylc4kR35NZdaGxkgaAuZJEALw_wcB
Hello, dump dosen't save for some reason even tho I have it enabled and can view hidden files /system files. Could it be because diagnostic is stuck at 0% so it doesn't save it?

I have done the scan on lenovo and it says "no driver updates are required for your machine "

Oct 5, 2022
So i have to guess you have not changed the size of the page file as that can be one reason for no dumps
Another can be the C drive is the problem

I don't know what intel are doing any more as I can't find a tool that lists your CPU but it should exist. See if this works - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?
I have do everything like it says in tutorial to make a minidump, and have also now run REG file as well(but there were no errors so cant confirm it works, but will update once it crashes ). I'm running the diagnostics you provided so will update once its done

Colif

Win 11 Master
its a common problem I see, PC can't make dump.

is this windows 10 or 11?

Do you know what brand ssd C drive is?
try running Crystaldiskinfo (blue icons) - https://crystalmark.info/en/
it will automatically get the results.

One reason for not getting any results can be the drive that records the dumps is the cause and can't record dumps as its crashed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
shakes fist at Samsung. Thats really annoying.
You can probably see SMART scores but that is just what drive reports, it doesn't check the cells unlike the actual tests
ZjCjfnu.jpg

Just as easy to look at Crystaldiskinfo as its easier to read the results, unless it shows something other than Good 100% you don't need to share picture.

its possible just before or after the crash there is an event mentioning a storage drive. I wish I could remember exactly what I am looking for. It would show in event viewer. there will also be a kernel event 41(63) as it happens whenever windows is restarted without properly being closed... a crash does that.

Without dumps I can't really start to say what cause is. It might be the drive, it might be something else.
Shame you have to send device overseas to get it fixed but as its under warranty still, that might be best idea.

CPU seems okay from results.

Reactions: Gerleno
Oct 5, 2022
You can probably see SMART scores but that is just what drive reports, it doesn't check the cells unlike the actual tests
ZjCjfnu.jpg

Just as easy to look at Crystaldiskinfo as its easier to read the results, unless it shows something other than Good 100% you don't need to share picture.

its possible just before or after the crash there is an event mentioning a storage drive. I wish I could remember exactly what I am looking for. It would show in event viewer. there will also be a kernel event 41(63) as it happens whenever windows is restarted without properly being closed... a crash does that.

Without dumps I can't really start to say what cause is. It might be the drive, it might be something else.
Shame you have to send device overseas to get it fixed but as its under warranty still, that might be best idea.

I will check it out in the morning since it getting pretty late now, hopefully another crash happens tomorrow so i can get a dump file

Oct 5, 2022
ZjCjfnu.jpg

Magician shows everything as "good" in smart.
in event viewer i can see quite a few "warning" and "error" and "critical" . One "Critical" says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." - its says source Kernel PnP.

some of the Errors are :
1 "The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 6000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

."Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80240017: Update for Windows Defender Antivirus antimalware platform - KB4052623 (Version 4.18.2001"

. "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073D02: ApplicationSet-9PMHP03NJ9QP-DellInc.AlienwareCommandCenter."

. The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated with the following error:
A generic command executable returned a result that indicates failure.

Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.WindowsStore_11910.1002.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe!App.AppX65azfy60a5wn91mcvdd3dr2y0wj02n39.mca as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
"2147958012"
Happened while starting this command:
"C:\Windows\system32\backgroundTaskHost.exe" -ServerName:App.AppXe9cvj1thv1hmcw0cs98xm3r97tyzy2xs.mca

and most of the warning seem to be kernel PnP based

Some of the warnings

1 The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe with process id 6468 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A0F&SUBSYS_380517AA&REV_05\3&11583659&0&30.

2 The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\WindowsApps\DellInc.AlienwareCommandCenter_5.5.14.0_x64__htrsf667h5kn2\AWCC.exe with process id 13144 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A0F&SUBSYS_380517AA&REV_05\3&11583659&0&30.

3 The application System with process id 4 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9A0F&SUBSYS_380517AA&REV_05\3&11583659&0&30.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Most events are one offs, they didn't work once but worked every other time
dcom is normal
in event viewer i can see quite a few "warning" and "error" and "critical" . One "Critical" says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." - its says source Kernel PnP.
restarts caused by BSOD are another reason you get that event

any event 46?
Event ID 46: Crash dump initialization failed!

actually those warnings mighht have been because i pluged in external drive to transfer some files
looks about right.

since we don't know what cause is, and PC isn't willing to tell us... we keep looking at parts.
CPU passed
Nvme says its okay but software tests can't see physical problems and we couldn't run diagnostics
Check ram:
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it (this can take a long time to run so might want to do it overnight)

It being a laptop reduces amount of parts we can test. NO PSU as such and gpu probably built onto motherboard.

Dell Alienware Command Centre mentioned in 2 of them...

this won't help the PC crashing but might help some of the events

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022
Most events are one offs, they didn't work once but worked every other time
dcom is normal

restarts caused by BSOD are another reason you get that event

any event 46?
Event ID 46: Crash dump initialization failed!

looks about right.

since we don't know what cause is, and PC isn't willing to tell us... we keep looking at parts.
CPU passed
Nvme says its okay but software tests can't see physical problems and we couldn't run diagnostics
Check ram:
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it (this can take a long time to run so might want to do it overnight)

It being a laptop reduces amount of parts we can test. NO PSU as such and gpu probably built onto motherboard.

Dell Alienware Command Centre mentioned in 2 of them...

this won't help the PC crashing but might help some of the events

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

No event 46

i wrote memtest on USB and will run it later,

Dell Alienware Command Centre is automatically downloaded from lenovo vantage, i have alienware monitor plugged in

I did SFC before i reinstalled windows , but il do it again now

Colif

Win 11 Master
BSOD can be fixed by updating BIOS so knowing which one you had now would help
can you search for System Information application
on the line next to header BIOS Version/Date, can you tell me what you have?
Its on the line right under the CPU description

Its a CPU related BSOD

pretty sure its hardware of some sort but still worth looking to see if it happens in safe mode
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

Oct 5, 2022
BSOD can be fixed by updating BIOS so knowing which one you had now would help
can you search for System Information application
on the line next to header BIOS Version/Date, can you tell me what you have?
Its on the line right under the CPU description

Its a CPU related BSOD

pretty sure its hardware of some sort but still worth looking to see if it happens in safe mode
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

First time crashed since yesterday, it was a diferent BSOD error (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION) and stuck again on 0% so no minidump

BIOS Version/Date LENOVO H1CN49WW, 8/16/2022
SMBIOS Version 3.3

i will try to load in safe mode

Oct 5, 2022
After booting in safe mode it crashed again when laptop was idle for 3 mins with watchdog timeout error again. It seems to mostly happen when its idle and chrome is running.
i did notice in event log Alienware command center always having error and using path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll , which could cause the error , so i unistalled it and will see if crashing continues

Edit: it still crashed

Last edited: