News Lego Cryonaut Found a Way to Make Quantum Computing More Affordable

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
2000 times colder than deep space makes no sense without a reference point. That's because "colder" is a negative and temperature is a positive. So if liquid helium were 4.22K and deep space were 4.218K, 2000 times colder could be 0.218K.

I don't blame this author but the original source: Without a reference point, we're treating science as marketing.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
2000 times colder than deep space makes no sense without a reference point.
The reference point is obviously 0 degrees Kelvin. So, I guess your point is that it should've been written "1/2000th as cold as"? Or, since we're being pedantic, "1/2000th as warm as"?

Fair, I suppose. But, a nit-pick, none the less.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The reference point is obviously 0 degrees Kelvin. So, I guess your point is that it should've been written "1/2000th as cold as"? Or, since we're being pedantic, "1/2000th as warm as"?

Fair, I suppose. But, a nit-pick, none the less.
It's far, far worse than that. The measurement is of heat, so it would be 1/2000th as warm as, so calling that argument pedantic is...pedantic. But the way it's written, it actually doesn't make any sense. It's worse than my "use 4x less toilet paper" experience, where four roles didn't magically appear when I finished the first one, because at least I had a one-role reference point.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look, when I was starting they had an article about a CPU that used 50% less power than the previous version. But the article showed that the old CPU used 50% more power than the new one. Which meant that the new version used 33% less power than the old one.

Now this was a headline, so I took it to management. The statement discredited Tom's Hardware as a serious site for computing enthusiasts (math, get it?). And after going back and forth about how math works for a couple days, Management came to the conclusion "they just do math differently in Europe".

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Look, when I was starting they had an article about a CPU that used 50% less power than the previous version. And then they showed that the old CPU used 50% more power than the new one. Which meant that the new version used 33% less power than the old one.

Now this was a headline, so I took it to management. The statement discredited Tom's Hardware as a serious site for computing enthusiasts (math, get it?). And after going back and forth about how math works for a couple days, Management came to the conclusion "they just do math differently in Europe".
That's unfortunate, and rather more consequential than this holiday fluff piece. They really should've corrected it.

Anyway, seriously, Happy Holidays!

🎅

margrave

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you for calling BS on this.
The news media are full of it, and I (we all?) expect it.
But Tom's is not the place for BS.
It's far, far worse than that. The measurement is of heat, so it would be 1/2000th as warm as, so calling that argument pedantic is...pedantic. But the way it's written, it actually doesn't make any sense. It's worse than my "use 4x less toilet paper" experience, where four roles didn't magically appear when I finished the first one, because at least I had a one-role reference point.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thank you for calling BS on this.
The news media are full of it, and I (we all?) expect it.
But Tom's is not the place for BS.
I don't expect our news writers to all be so fussy as to rephrase the numbers so that they make sense. I still blame the source.

Yes, I did later check with Google and a calculator, it is 1/2000th the "temperature" of deep space.