Lending My Ears To Turtle Beach's Elite 800X Headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

natureaddict

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Is it Turtle Beach? Check.
Does it have plastic in important stress bearing locations? Check

Expect those joints, bands, seams to crack within the first year. Quicker if you have a large head.

For gaming, I'd rather have a 5.1 headset is it's possible. The CM Storm 5.1 headset is great for the price as well. And for music, a couple of Studio Headphones (Shure RH440, for example) will come a long way.

Cheers!

Is it Turtle Beach? Check.
Does it have plastic in important stress bearing locations? Check

Expect those joints, bands, seams to crack within the first year. Quicker if you have a large head.

Exactly. Turtle Beach is basically warrantied to break in under 2 years in normal use conditions. Literally my only TB product is a headset I bought to get the TRRS capable mixamp (those are great) but the headset is just sitting in a box someplace.

TLDR: Turtle Beach is crap quality and you should never buy their product, there's far better options at fairer prices. Plus, their aftermarket parts replacement sucks if you're not in the continental US.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
For gaming, I'd rather have a 5.1 headset is it's possible. The CM Storm 5.1 headset is great for the price as well. And for music, a couple of Studio Headphones (Shure RH440, for example) will come a long way.

Cheers!
going to be real honest with you, headsets that are labeled 5.1/7.1 is all marketing. it may have multiple drivers in the ear cup, but the fact that that they're all so close by your ears pretty much negates any surround sound. all you need is a stereo headset, and it can literally give you the same surround sound effect given the headset itself has a larger soundstage. there are plenty of software tricks that make you feel like you have 5.1 and do it just as well. i use an ath-a900x and i can hear people creeping behind me, on the side, in front, all of that. no surround sound feature enabled.

ctsvette

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Thanks to my Turtle Beach ownership, which started with the X1's for the Xbox 360, I've gotten really good at wiring and taping headsets back together when they fail at the plastic swivel point. But I'm not giving them $300 to find out whether or not they ever fixed that issue, because the last time I gave them another chance, I had to break out the wire and electrical tape yet again. To be fair, my son's Logitech G430's failed in the exact same spot, but thanks to the knowledge gained from my TB ownership, they are now working as great as ever after some wire and electrical tape. ;)

There's a distinct lack of sound quality in this write-up. It sounds likes these headphones just switch between hardwired presents to emulate what could be had on actually good headphones.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
There's a distinct lack of sound quality in this write-up. It sounds likes these headphones just switch between hardwired presents to emulate what could be had on actually good headphones.

To be fair it is supposed to be a gaming headset. Real sound quality when referring to a gaming headset is a waste of time in my opinion. Besides, sound quality is so subjective.

One thing that others touched on: plastic that eventually snaps in half - on a headset - that should be a deal-breaker.

Well, I do have in fact the CM 5.1 Headset and I am using them for gaming. They do have 5.1 sound and the "surround" is there. I can't say it is the same as having 6 speakers further away, because you're right, but it is there.

In any case, for music and everything else, I use the RH440.

I have a friend with the Razer Kraken and they do sound very good. The mic is crap though.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.