Jul 22, 2023
Hello, I'm new here, but I've been struggling with decisions and information about upgrading GPU for Lenovo Ideacentre AIO Y910 system.
System specs now are:
i7 6700 (non K)
Gtx 1080
16gb ddr4 2133mhz
500gb ssd
380W PSU ( currently playing RDR 2 computer consumes 270W max from outlet)
This computer are all in one but all except CPU can be changed.
RDR 2 utilizes from 60% to max 80% CPU and 99% GPU so as my logic works theres still headroom for GPU improvement.
My biggest question is what GPU should I upgrade to for better FPS gain?
Did a little bit of research and from different websites forums I've gathered that AMD gpus is more forgiving on older cpus while nvidia is not, and another reason is that my screen is 1440p 144hz AMD freesync supported (goal is 60 fps in games in that resolution).
There are two options which should or should not work well for as little bottleneck and price to performance ratio is AMD RX 6600XT and 6700XT but Im not informative enough to make decent decision.
BTW this systems CPU cant be upgraded neither Motherboard can be upgraded since its custom made for this AIO. Also GPU size should be not bigger or just little bit bigger than GTX 1080 Founders edition since GPU placement is also size limited.
Also would love help on low profile aftermarket CPU cooler since there isnt much of space for big ones.

Solution
Thanks for info, kinda figured that its already outdated system, but im going to keep it for few years more before dumping it, so maybe betetr gpu would suffice for upcoming few games Im interested

While you may get *some* benefit, the CPU will become the limiting factor in most cases so you'll spend a few years running on a new GPU for limited gain when that money, in a few years, could be spent on a significantly better GPU than you can get today for the same money, and it would be in a PC that could take advantage of it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, your only good option is to leave it as is and save up for a new PC. The CPU/motherboard would be a limiting factor on any GPU that was a significant upgrade on a GTX 1080 and the PSU would need to be upgraded as well, which would be a bit of a problem with the current rig. And if you have a custom AIO that causes the CPU to not be upgradeable, there's hardly going to be an aftermarket option for it.

Unfortunately, AIO PCs are just nightmares to upgrade, which is why they're almost never recommended for a gaming PC that's not being treated like a disposable computer. The most value you can get is simply to run this PC until it's unusable someday and saving up money in the meantime for your next PC, hopefully one that is more upgrade friendly.

Reactions: GGJs

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What tells you the GPU can be upgraded?

If that's the model, it actually can be.

But I still wouldn't recommend it, of course, given that we're talking an AIO PC. Not being able to update an eight-year-old platform is basically fatal.

Jul 22, 2023
Honestly, your only good option is to leave it as is and save up for a new PC. The CPU/motherboard would be a limiting factor on any GPU that was a significant upgrade on a GTX 1080 and the PSU would need to be upgraded as well, which would be a bit of a problem with the current rig. And if you have a custom AIO that causes the CPU to not be upgradeable, there's hardly going to be an aftermarket option for it.

Unfortunately, AIO PCs are just nightmares to upgrade, which is why they're almost never recommended for a gaming PC that's not being treated like a disposable computer. The most value you can get is simply to run this PC until it's unusable someday and saving up money in the meantime for your next PC, hopefully one that is more upgrade friendly.
CPU can be taken out and be replaced but motherboard BIOS dont supprot anything higher than 6 series and ofcourse CPU cant be overlocked. CPU fan is stock cooler i believe which is not enough to keep temps lower than 80 celcius.

USAFRet

Titan
GPU can be removed from slot and be replaced, the problem is space where it resides. All space litteraly is used up because GPU is in metal case which is with 4 screws and hole in case slides in to hold GPU.
I asked, because that is very unusual in an AIO.

You have one of the few.

Whether it is a good idea is a whole other story.
Personally, I wouldn't.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
CPU can be taken out and be replaced but motherboard BIOS dont supprot anything higher than 6 series and ofcourse CPU cant be overlocked. CPU fan is stock cooler i believe which is not enough to keep temps lower than 80 celcius.

Yeah, but the upgrade from a 6700 to a 6700K is kind of pointless, so if you can't replace the motherboard, you basically have an un-upgradeable CPU/MB combination. That's pretty much a deal breaker for the idea of a significant upgrade to the PC's performance. This was during the era when Intel made very little CPU progress generation-to-generation; the i7 6700 isn't that much of an upgrade from the i7 2600 that came out four years before.

I fear any money you put into this PC will just be a case of throwing good money after bad.

Jul 22, 2023
Thanks for info, kinda figured that its already outdated system, but im going to keep it for few years more before dumping it, so maybe betetr gpu would suffice for upcoming few games Im interested

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

While you may get *some* benefit, the CPU will become the limiting factor in most cases so you'll spend a few years running on a new GPU for limited gain when that money, in a few years, could be spent on a significantly better GPU than you can get today for the same money, and it would be in a PC that could take advantage of it.

Solution
Jul 22, 2023
thanks for all the help