Lenovo’s Charming Little Multimedia Controller Impresses At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurnii

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Any idea which flavor(s) of WiFi are supported? (802.11g, n, ac ?)

And, are you sure it's really WiFi? The "10meter range" sounds more like Bluetooth.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

it's probably using a pre-paired USB wi-fi dongle.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

They were mum on any further details/specs, I'm afraid. But both Wi-Fi and BT have a much larger range than 10m. I'm sure that measurement is the furthest you can get while ensuring consistent performance. Also, 10m is pretty long range for what you'd use this for! :)

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Uhh, I was looking in a mirror? Would you accept that as an excuse? ;) Fixed now, thanks--

dstarr3

Distinguished
$55 is slightly steep, considering Logitech's alternative is a full keyboard with a trackpad for about half that. Hopefully that MSRP translates to a more reasonabble $30 in stores. And I'm very eager to see what typing does to the cursor placement. I'm not interesting if typing bounces my cursor all over the screen.

ET3D

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
According to Lenovo it's called "Lenovo 500 Multimedia Controller".

Anyway, I like the idea and will be looking forward to its release.

Just as the MSRP of that particular wireless keyboard with touchpad from Logitech is actually $40, this device will probably drop in price before long as well. And that's not Logitech's only keyboard in that category, as they have a backlit rechargeable model with a $100 MSRP as well.

And neither of those actually really fit into the same category as this device, as they are nearly full-size keyboards with a touchpad to the side, over 14 inches across and weighing about a pound. Certainly, that will be better for extended typing, but for not really ideal for media center use. Most people probably won't want a full-size keyboard sitting on the arm of their couch, and picking something like that up just to click on something with the touchpad would be a bit cumbersome. A keyboard like this, being more comparable in size to a remote control, is probably a better fit for such a scenario.

There are, however, a number of low-priced off-brand wireless keyboards of this size available online. They tend to only have a tiny touchpad though, and this keyboard's biggest advantage over them is probably the huge touchpad covering the entire keyboard, assuming it actually works well.

lip008

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I have Lenovo's previous multimedia remotes. I really like them. No need to replace what works so well. IMO one of these paired up with a small PC/laptop using HDMI to TV will always be better than a Roku or whatever.

Amazon Prime has a lot of content that's almost impossible to find scrolling through a Fire TV Stick or whatever.

majorlag

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Logitech diNovo mini (Hey sounds a whole lot like Lenovo)works great and is unifying reciever, more reliable then the diNovo Bluetooth version. Been using a diNovo for years on the HTPC. I can see Logitech coming out with an updated Windows 10 version similarly to Lenovo's

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Oh neat, that technology of using the keyboard as a touchpad sounds pretty similiar to what Blackberry has been using recently. Sounds like a good idea.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Dunno, they wouldn't say. But note that this is not a full keyboard with mechanical switches--it's a little handheld device. (Note the scale in the pictures and video.)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
it lacks the three Android buttons.
You mean the back, home, and switcher icons, at the bottom of the screen? Why is that a deal-breaker? Just use the trackpad functionality to click those.

I use PC-oriented USB & bluetooth keyboards & mice with Android tablets. It works perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.