Lenovo, Acer, Sony Targetted in Green Dam Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
well, maybe they'll learn that singing along a communist song just for the love of sales doesn't mean they're immune from any legal consequences... after all, they can't say they didn't know about the copyright issue, all the Internet was full of news about it. Hope they will have to pay big royalties for putting that software on their systems.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I thought Lenovo didn't accept the Green Dam software? I thought it was Toshiba? I could be wrong, after all, Lenovo is a Chinese company.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]here come the patent hors[/citation]
You're an idiot. At least try and be a little bit educated about what you're talking about.

A research team at a close university found code directly ripped from Solid Oak (And I literally mean directly, since it was also noticed that the internal code newsletter commented sections from Solid Oak were also left in) and notified the company about it. China doesnt even take notice, so the only way for them to take back their stolen property is to battle the PC manufacturers that decide to use the software despite a clear knowledge that the software was built using stolen IP.

Regected

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

This is not a case of patent trolling. This is an active and marketed product being blatantly copied by a foreign power. A company has little to no chance standing up to a government, but they can stop other companies from furthering the infringement.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Regected has a point.Solid Oak cant hope to sue the Chineese government and win.They could be doing this to try recoup thier losses or and this is a big OR they want to give the chineese governtment something to think about.But thats not likely as they have proven to be unmoving in most things,kind of like someone going the wrong way but despite all evidence that it is thwe wrong way they arent changing course one degree.

cregan89

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
This sucks for the manufacturers. It's illegal in China to sell a computer without the software. But the software itself is illegal. Your damned if you do, damned if you don't!

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]cregan89[/nom]This sucks for the manufacturers. It's illegal in China to sell a computer without the software. But the software itself is illegal. Your damned if you do, damned if you don't![/citation]
That's the cost of doing buisness in China. If manufacturers really wanted to stand up and do something about it, they could just give China a flat NO.

I guess China will have to start making their own computers. :) Hopefully this legal suit will cause the major manufacturers to stop installing the software, and ultimately won't be able to ship PCs there.

The Chinese government will just have to deal with living in the dark ages. This is what happens with governments that are fundamentally corrupt in the first place. No real surprise that the Chinese government has knowingly stolen intellectual property.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Good luck to Solid Oak. The PC manufacturers should have done their homework, ship PCs to china with linux installed, green dam isn't compatible with linux :) They could still make sales without any ethical or legal worries.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]I guess China will have to start making their own computers...[/citation]

They already do. Seems like every computer part I have says "Made in China." Maybe American companies can put Americans back to work and start builting things in country again.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]cabose369[/nom]why would they sue the companies??? Why not just sue China's government for being so damn stupid and Commie....[/citation]
Well, hell, if that was against the Chinese law, and they gave a damn about what you had to say, you could sue them too!

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]They already do. Seems like every computer part I have says "Made in China." Maybe American companies can put Americans back to work and start builting things in country again.[/citation]

That would be nice, but most americans won't work for the wage that the companies can offer in China. Of course, a lot of those companies are not american to being with. Lenovo is chinese based to begin with, although with some american roots being as they swallowed up IBM's PC business. Though, neither Sony nor Acer are american either.

So technically we're not talking about american companies, even if they were, americans aren't going to work for minimum wage building PCs.. nor will these companies end up paying that much or what the job is worth here, either.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Eccentric909[/nom]That would be nice, but most americans won't work for the wage that the companies can offer in China. Of course, a lot of those companies are not american to being with. Lenovo is chinese based to begin with, although with some american roots being as they swallowed up IBM's PC business. Though, neither Sony nor Acer are american either.So technically we're not talking about american companies, even if they were, americans aren't going to work for minimum wage building PCs.. nor will these companies end up paying that much or what the job is worth here, either.[/citation]
Yes, but we do have HP, Dell, IBM and a few others. Also, we have many US based companies that own the parts inside of them (but made in China). You do not have to pay Americans $0.23 an hour like in a third world country. Pay what the job is worth. The only reason we do keep jobs in the US is to get max profit and to have a price war with other vendors. Why not give the jobs to Americans, pay what the job is worth, still make a great profit and tax the hell out of products coming into the states to even the price? Don't you think that is done in other countries? How much tax do you think is charged to a new US car sold in Japan? Maybe that could be the reason why you see so little US cars in Japan (and I live in Japan, so I know what I'm talking about). They love the look of the US cars here, but you have to pay the price. KEEP JOBS IN AMERICAN AND AMERICANS WILL HAVE THE MONEY TO INVEST IN AMERICA! It's all a cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.