Lenovo Aims New Rugged ThinkPad 11e Devices at Students

Status
Not open for further replies.

yozz

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Doesn't Lenovo know students want laptops that look stylish instead of... rugged? It's like the fashionable cloths, iPhones, etc.

gamergeek

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Doesn't Lenovo know students want laptops that look stylish instead of... rugged? It's like the fashionable cloths, iPhones, etc.
Thats true, but schools that provide laptops for their students might not.

Yeah, these laptops are likely aimed at elementary, junior high and high schools where the school themselves purchases the laptops and loan them out to the students. Better to be rugged than stylish since people (especially kids) are not particularly careful of property that does not actually belong to them.

Most schools are loaning out ipads now and if your kids breaks it, guess what? You have to pay for it, in full $500. They offer insurance on it, but still if it breaks, you have to pay the $150 deductible. Any way you look at it, parents want to most rugged unit available if schools are loaning them to kids.

jardows

Distinguished
May 14, 2003
No mention of storage options. If they use mechanical storage, I don't think they will be as "rugged" as they are being advertised.Also, no mention in the article or on Lenovo's site of the processor, other than made by Intel. Will these be a good value, with true Pentium processors, or will they be Atom/Celeron processors.Not sure if the $100 savings for a Chromebook would be doing the students any service, as the programs available for a true Windows computer are much more suited for an educational environment.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
I love how they market Chromebooks as the miracle solution for 1:1 deployments. I work for a school district and more than half the websites they use for math, science and physics don't work on Chrome OS due to a lack of required plugins. It took our admin days just to get into the management console because it required a PIN that wasn't provided and there was NO ONE he could call at Google to help him out. He ended up having to use one of his contacts with a city administration that uses Google Apps for Business who managed to get in touch with their Google support and got them to call us. What a nightmare.1:1 isn't going to be easy for school IT no matter how you slice it, but I would never put my faith in something you have absolutely no control over.

Status
Not open for further replies.