News Lenovo Announces New ThinkVision Monitors Including 49-inch Dual QHD Monster

Dec 20, 2022
Is this 49" monitor designed so that you can see it on your office desk while working from home? ;)
Yeah I don't understand the use case. This is mediocre for gaming (refresh rate, hdr coverage, etc) , and similarly for work (obnoxiously wide, low ppi) .

Dec 21, 2022
One would have to be quite clueless to not understand the use case after many years of such monitors being available and inferior multi-monitor setups existing for decades before that. Both the wideness and perfectly high but not too high PPI are indispensable for productivity, as well as gaming immersion and performance, take it from someone who has done both from home on this size monitor for over 2 years. That being said what I don't understand is the appeal of this particular monitor, sure nice contrast from the IPS panel, but I bought a better 49" super-ultrawide than this over two years ago for less money which has a 120hz refresh rate and other features required for gaming which this does not three years later once it's released.... I'm just waiting for true OLED super-ultrawides, and a few more inches wouldn't hurt either, being only as tall as a 27" is slightly smaller than I desire, the height of a 32" would be ideal.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
There certainly are use cases. Such as when at work using 3 apps mostly, with a dual-screen setup, it wouldn't make sense to give each app one third of the total screen area, as one app would be split onto two screens.

As for differences between such ultrawide screens, this one can e.g. daisy chain further screens, it can charge laptop directly from the docking station (accessible from the front), it can run input from two PCs side-by-side, and with the KVM-switch also letting one work on other PCs with the same keyboard and mouse. From what I know, not every such screen comes with such features. And sometimes it can be just about availability. E.g. when U.S. will soon be producing screens of the 23rd century, but not allow export of them to anyone, there still is a demand for screens elsewhere.

Dec 22, 2022
I'm just waiting for true OLED super-ultrawides, and a few more inches wouldn't hurt either, being only as tall as a 27" is slightly smaller than I desire, the height of a 32" would be ideal.
OLEDs aren't great for text clarity. I tried using an LG C2 OLED for productivity work and returned to my IPS panels.

To me, the most appealing on-paper productivity and light gaming monitor currently on sale is the LG 40WP95C. Incredible resolution, perfect height, useful multi input modes and VRR. Only 72Hz though.

That said, nothing I've used beats my 2017 iMac for text clarity. Even when running as a secondary display under Linux, it blows away the LG 32" 4K monitor I run as my primary. It's just a little too small for my liking.