Lenovo Announces Windows 8 Touch Portable Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
very interesting... a wifi monitor with battery and touchscreen would be really cool if the price is right, include a charging tray for use as a regular monitor and then taken to other parts of the hous eand connected via network... as long as the price isn't the same as a table ti cna really see there being a market for this... kudos lenovo

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Indeed... just a monitor. Per Liliputing, there are two models, not one. The first is 349 and is connected via USB. The second is 449, connects via wifi, and includes a battery. It won't be available until June 2013.

http://liliputing.com/2013/01/lenovo-unveils-lt1423p-touch-mobile-monitors.html

The USB version might be kind of useful sort-of for Win 8 PCs without touch screens. Maybe. I guess. Because spending 349 for a 13" screen seems like a really good idea. Yeah.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@Zak: Are your facts correct? The Liliputing article seems to have more information, and it conflicts with yours on product (1 vs 2), weight, and potentially features.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]$449? And it's not a full system, just a monitor and touch interface? Really?[/citation]
But it can play crysis.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@mortsmi7:
But it can display crysis.

Fixed that for ya. And no, still not impressed by it. At this price, I'd rather MSFT fixed their TermSvc shadow feature and use a tablet with RD that doesn't have to be used all the time with the base computer. I bet Lucid could come up with something awesome if they put their minds to it.

andrewc513

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Realistically, I understand their logic with it despite this being a weird idea and high price. This has the profile of a large tablet, but it's a monitor. So let's say you would like a tablet for office use with a Core i7 CPU, 16GB, a hefty GPU, and a flagship SSD? Yea, not happening... But, using a tablet-sized touch monitor connecting back to a desktop will technically give you that experience.

It's an extremely small niche, but I get the idea behind it...

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
In general like the idea. In fact, I would like this - a tablet that I can use as a touch monitor when I want. Right now the only options are really buying some kind of app hat more or less works this way, but reviews have been conflicting about how well this works. It'd be nice if this works more seamlessly... and was bigger... and had the actual features of tablet... or was a lot cheaper. 5 stars on the idea, 2 or 1 on the execution.

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
This sounds cool, I can use it as a tablet for my computer at home and still have the keyboard/mouse when needed, but at that price I might as well just buy a real tablet...

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
This would work so much better as a portable touch interface for your powerful desktop if the resolution was the same as the big screen at your desk, so that you could just clone your desktop rather than switch back and fort between each which messes with the layout of your tiles (Windows 8) etc (spanning would make it even more pointless). They could offer 2 different resolutions to match the two most common desktop resolutions.
Like 1920x1080. Then you could easily pick it up and go to your couch, or go to the next office or a meeting and show your co-workers what you were working on at your desk, etc. With the resolution they are offering, it would be too much of a hassle. Yes, this may match the resolution of some laptops, but it's pointless as the laptop is portable anyway.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]@Zak: Are your facts correct? The Liliputing article seems to have more information, and it conflicts with yours on product (1 vs 2), weight, and potentially features.[/citation]
Common problem, it's called bad journalism

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]$449? And it's not a full system, just a monitor and touch interface? Really?[/citation]
Not even 1080p...

[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]@Zak: Are your facts correct? The Liliputing article seems to have more information, and it conflicts with yours on product (1 vs 2), weight, and potentially features.[/citation]
Usually never are :lol:

G

With USB3 I wouldn't expect stylus lag, but not so sure about the WiFi version. I wonder if I could d/l the drivers on my Win8 ultrabook and test the Lenovo mobile monitor's stylus by running Photoshop while at Best Buy? The problem with in-store demos is they *never* have any of the s/w we want in order to get a real world demonstration. This looks like the coolest product from this year's CES.

Status
Not open for further replies.