Lenovo Buys Motorola from Google: What Does it Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Sigh... I guess my droid maxx was the best phone ever made then... Doubt Lenovo will take Motorola in the direction its been going. Yes its not the best phone specs wise, but man through all the tests I've taken it, I chose it every time.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
On the surface, Lenovo getting Motorola for less than a quarter of what Google paid for it sounds like a steal (after all, are those patents really worth $9 billion?)

A) They're only buying the Handset business, the set top business for around $2.5 billion
B) Google always said they were in it for the patents and didn't want hardware
C) Google is going to license the patents and make much more than what they paid
D) Samsung lost a $1 trillion dollar lawsuit (obviously it's still going through the courts but it's expensive

So all in all I'd say Google's the one who got the bargain.

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I'd like to see samsung knocked down a notch in any which way. Recently I've got nothing but sub par quality products from them, had to return 3 led tvs because they made annoying buzzing sounds...wtf is that? Using crappy ass parts in an expensive tv makes no sense. I've NEVER had that happen with sony or vizio or even some of the cheaper no name branded tvs I've bought. I'll never buy another samsung product again after that.

ff6shadow

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Lenovo as a brand has surpassed all my expectations. They're the one vendor when it comes to laptops, that I would recommend to anyone. They just make fantastic stuff. Super durable. Excellent designs. Thinkpad is just amazing. I will absolutely buy a thinkpad phone in 2015 when it's available.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
It means that I won't be buying Motorola ever again! Say NO to cheap Chinese garbage!
Lenovo's quality is actually pretty good, especially their business laptops. Not all Made in China are garbage. A lot of high quality products are made in China, iphone for example. And if you're into the audio, FiiO is actually is a real deal. It really surprises many other high-end brands.

Hammerxc

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Dang it!!! I recently got a Moto X on Verizon and absolutely love it. I've had a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk (AT&T service) for over a year and was surprised how quickly the Moto X has won me over. While I carry both (work/home thing) I find myself reaching for an using the Moto X almost exclusively. My experience with the Moto X had me anxious to see what Motorola would be releasing next (instead of anxious for the newest Nexus). Now I'm worried the Moto X thought line may be ended just after it got started. Heck, I might now buy a Moto X unlocked to replace my Nexus 4 on StraighTalk. No, I'm not kidding, I live the Moto X. It's form factor fits the hand like it was made for it. Never slips, never drops, never feels awkward when talking or typing. It's only got a dual core CPU where the Nexus 4 has a quad, and it's VERY responsive. Anyway, RIP Google owned Motorola (tear falls).

maniac62

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
It means that I won't be buying Motorola ever again! Say NO to cheap Chinese garbage!
People said that to Japanese products in the 50s and 60s, and to Korean products in the 80s and 90s. And now it is China, who's gonna be the next?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The subtext here of course is that Google just lost $10 billion, nobody can take that kind of hit, not Apple, not Microsoft, not IBM - $10 billion is not chump change to anyone and somebody is likely to get fired over it

First no more Nexus and now this? We're going to get gouged on the price of smartphones in the near future!
This deal is announced officially (even though the regulatory bodies have yet to approve it); the Nexus rumor is just something from a Russian site with absolutely no weight behind it. I don't think there is enough salt in the ocean for the kind of grain you'll need to take with that rumor.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
As long as Moto keeps supporting her Moto G, my daughter will be happy. You have to remember, Google already sold Moto's set top box division for $2.5B, so Google is out about $7.1B so far on this deal. But we have no way of knowing all of the money they have earned from the various licensing deals or the money they might be potentially saving in the courtroom. Maybe Google saw what Samsung is going through with Apple and did not want to follow suit.

keddaw

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Google bought a division of Motorola for $12.5bn and immediately sold the set top box sub-division for over $2.5bn. Motorola also had about $3bn in cash at time of the purchase. Google then used Motorola's current and previous losses and will continue using them to avoid paying US tax for about another 4 years (at roughly $1bn per year plus the two years they owned them). Now they have sold the bulk of the remaining Motorola manufacturing business for $2.9bn.Seems to me Google paid $12.5bn and got back $8.5bn, will have written off $6bn in tax AND got to keep the vast majority of the desirable patents (that they bought Motorola for in the first place).Everyone wins apart from the US taxpayer.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
On the surface, Lenovo getting Motorola for less than a quarter of what Google paid for it sounds like a steal (after all, are those patents really worth $9 billion?)
Why couldn't they both have gotten a steal?A) They're only buying the Handset business, the set top business for around $2.5 billionB) Google always said they were in it for the patents and didn't want hardwareC) Google is going to license the patents and make much more than what they paidD) Samsung lost a $1 trillion dollar lawsuit (obviously it's still going through the courts but it's expensiveSo all in all I'd say Google's the one who got the bargain.
A) They're only buying the Handset business, the set top business for around $2.5 billionB) Google always said they were in it for the patents and didn't want hardwareC) Google is going to license the patents and make much more than what they paidD) Samsung lost a $1 trillion dollar lawsuit (obviously it's still going through the courts but it's expensiveSo all in all I'd say Google's the one who got the bargain.
A) They're only buying the Handset business, the set top business for around $2.5 billionB) Google always said they were in it for the patents and didn't want hardwareC) Google is going to license the patents and make much more than what they paidD) Samsung lost a $1 trillion dollar lawsuit (obviously it's still going through the courts but it's expensiveSo all in all I'd say Google's the one who got the bargain.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Nonsense.

The real math is quite a bit different. Motorola had around $3 Billion in cash when Google bought them. They later sold other aspects of Motorola's business (like set top boxes) for a large sum. Google still gets the patents which is what it was after to begin with. It knew MS and Apple would try to patent troll Android and that's exactly what happened. In that respect alone, it's worth the money.

The obvious drawback here is what happens to Motorola. They are currently selling the best Android phones in my opinion. Our Moto Xs have been absolutely outstanding. Under Google's leadership, they went from no direction to innovating unlike any other manufacturer. Lenovo makes good products. Here's hoping they keep Moto on the right path.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Lenovo's quality is actually pretty good, especially their business laptops. Not all Made in China are garbage. A lot of high quality products are made in China, iphone for example. And if you're into the audio, FiiO is actually is a real deal. It really surprises many other high-end brands.
You can say this all you want but the fact is that when I can find an American made product for something I'm looking for, I buy it. I currently use a Galaxy S4, but had I realized that the Moto X was coming out just a short time later, I would have bought that. I really enjoy using my S4, but the fact is, I much prefer the build of the Moto X. Chinese quality surprises by not breaking. American quality shines by being better in fit and build every time.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
"American Quality" is not always better. Just ask the people over at Eaton what they think about Chinese products. Eaton is having compressor motors made in China because the quality is identical to what they get from American workers but they don't have to pay the premium that lazy American workers feel entitled to.

sandy018

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Some says that it is going to harm google's wealth is it correct ? http://newsyweb.com/lenovo-acquires-motorola-mobility/

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

No. Google has $60 Billion on hand right now and is one of the wealthiest companies in the world. They actually are actually better off after the sale as they aren't taking operating losses from Motorola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS