Lenovo Charger with 4 Built-in USB Ports is Genius

Status
Not open for further replies.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
They are for powering devices that charge off of USB and also gives full USB connectivity to up to four devices. A four port hub that doesn't have additional power besides drawing off the host port will almost always cause problems with more than 2 devices connected (or even just one external HD).

Two thumbs up to Lenovo for actually listening to customers' feedback and implementing it in a simple yet ingenious way. Other universal adapters have done this but the fact that it's built into the standard adapter that comes with the computer is great. Now you don't have to lose your original adapter and wait to replace it to gain this extra functionality.

It's so simple yet no one thought of it until now. I love when a company comes up with a feature that we didn't even realize we needed. Any laptop without this built in will soon be behind.

One or two less cords to trip on and keep neat for the win!

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]chess[/nom]Apple is gonna get the credit and call it "magic"[/citation]
In 2 years and it'll be considered revolutionary.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
the real trick would be to use the usb port as the power brick's interface to charge the battery.

talk about standardizing power connectors. usb ports are smart, there could be some type of data transmit to ensure the 'correct' (or a correct enough) brick was charging the battery. get on it, guys.

sgdidache

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Great idea! Another one of those "why didn't I think of that myself" solutions. Every other company should be ashamed of themselves for not listening to their customers more.

And KUDOs to Lenovo! I'll buy one if they have one for my Tosh.

Memoscorp

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Quick! Patent it, wait 5 years for every company to use it, then sue them all![/citation]

This. Lmao.

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Impressive. Getting powered USB ports in something you will be carrying around anyway is amazing. Lenovo once again proves why they are the kings of mobile computing.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I actually leave that brick under my desk which makes using those usb ports a bit difficult. If the usb ports can still provide power without the laptop being plugged in then it might still be worth it. If not then I might as well use a rubber band and tie a usb hub around my power adapter.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Ever since the magsafe power adaptor was a "DUH" moment for one company, this may be a great selling factor for Lenovo. GRATS on having a good "duh" moment in innovation and design :)

success

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
of course the chinese could not do with a SINGLE proprietary USB/power cord from the adapter to the laptop.
They had to have the two cord mess and use up a perfectly good usb slot.
Anyhow, apple will show you how this is done properly shortly.

success

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
of course the chinese could not do with a SINGLE proprietary USB/power cord from the adapter to the laptop.
They had to have the two cord mess and use up a perfectly good usb slot.
Anyhow, apple will show you how this is done properly shortly.

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Hey Jane, do you know if they are powered USB ports sucking from the wall or are they just providing whatever power the one USB slot is providing?

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
[citation][nom]success[/nom]of course the chinese could not do with a SINGLE proprietary USB/power cord from the adapter to the laptop.They had to have the two cord mess and use up a perfectly good usb slot.Anyhow, apple will show you how this is done properly shortly.[/citation]
Somebody patent this, before Apple gets their hands on it!
Also, an adapter would be nice, to connect from the proprietary connector to standard power+usb.
Even better, move the usb hub up from the brick, along the cable, somewhere close to the laptop's connector so you can leave the brick under the desck (this is about uncluttering anyway).

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]chess[/nom]Apple is gonna get the credit and call it "magic"[/citation]

More specifically, it is going to change the charging port and add a few pins for usb connectivity. Combine the 2 cables into one magnetic cable plug, add 4 usb slots on the apple square (USB 2 of course)

Call it magic or iCharger Pro and charge it $169

Status
Not open for further replies.