Lenovo Could Make Acquisition Offer To Blackberry By End Of The Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Since I've been looking at upgrading my phone I naturally was looking at the Note 4, then today I stumbled across the Passport again remembering that I had read about it when it was announced. Did some reading today in regards to the Passport, although I've never used a BB device I really like it, the physical keyboard, keyboard acts as a mouse, wider screen, and from what I read great battery life & browser. I've had Apple(IPhone, IPhone 3GS), Andriod(Samsung S3) which I'm currently using, the funny thing is I'm not in business, I don't have to send PDF files, read hundreds of e-mails a day, the business-y sort of things, but yet, maybe it's just that I want to try something new.

Now the only downside for me personally, it's only available for purchase unlocked at the moment, and is rumored that it wont be available for contract on my carrier until January/February. It if was available at this time I would most likely choose it over the Note 4 just so I could try something different.

All in all, what I'm trying to say is for a phone that's geared more towards a corporate environment, it's caught my attention, and I really like that they try to think outside of the box.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
People are drawn to the Passport because it is different. Before the first iPhone came out and changed everything, people all had tons of choices for phones.. sliders, flip phones, keyboard phones, big screens, tiny screens, weird little things.. but then pretty much everyone had quite a selection of build designs. Then, Apple came along and changed the market; all the other companies started following the same design... rectangular phone, with a touch-screen. It's nice to see Blackberry going back to the keyboard, but also going with a huge 4.5" square screen and changing it up a bit. I'm tired of the same design of every phone.. They all look the same. When you take out a Blackberry Passport at a meeting, or a dinner and put it on the table.. people are drawn to it; "What's that?" "Nice, is that a smartphone? It has a classy look and feel to it, and doesn't look like your average everybody phone.

Gilbert Standen

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Lenovo was interested in buying Blackberry about a year ago. The deal was nixed before it could get off the ground on security concerns by the Canadian government. However, John Chen has made several changes at Blackberry, and it is possible he could sell only part of the company, or establish a partnership similar to the Apple-IBM partnership. The news about the possible buyout offer from Lenovo strongly suggests BBRY stock is oversold and undervalued.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The Canadian government may not allow this to go ahead. Lenovo, like most large companies is China, is controlled to a large extent by the Chinese Communist Party (CPC). The Chinese government forces all large companies to have CPC members on their boards and their operations have heavy CPC oversight. The IT sector especially is kept on a tight leash. People in the West generally are unaware of the level of control that the CPC maintains in the economy. Companies operating in China do so without the expectation of autonomy. The government can (and does) step in whenever they want something.

Status
Not open for further replies.