Question Lenovo E31-70: new fan replacement not working

Sep 5, 2021
I disassembled my laptop to replace the hinges and in the process also took out the laptop fan for a clean (lenovo E31-70). Unfortunately I did not unplug the battery before doing so and it seems to me that the laptop fan was damaged in the process - however after installing the a new replacement fan it still does not work.

My worry is that somehow the motherboard is destroyed - but only for the fan? (is this possible?) However every single part of my laptop works fine and it only overheats during heavy RAM-depended activities. I can see this by monitoring the different components temperature .

It could be that i installed the fan incorrectly as well? I simply unscrewed the old one, and screwed the new one in (having unplugged the battery before hand this time) and then plugged in the power supply.

Any ideas on how to solve it?

Edit:
Laptop: Lenovo E31-70
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full laptop specs and OS information.

Especially RAM: modules and capacity?

If "every single part of my laptop works fine" then the motherboard is fine.

So the laptop does work and only overheating - correct?

What temperatures are expected and what temperatures are being measuredl? How are the temperatures being measured or reported?

What are you doing with respect to "heavy RAM-depended activities"? What are those activities: Games, Video editing, bit mining, or other specific apps?

How did you clean the original laptop fan?

Where did you get the replacement fan? Are you sure that the new fan is fully plugged in/connected. The connection could feel tight but not be fully seated.

What documentation was used with respect to replacing the hinges and replacing the fan?

Sep 5, 2021
Laptop is working (i am writing this from it). The temperatures are roughly 50C when browsing the internet but shoots up further and has crashed two times when watching videos extended periods of time. the "heavy ram" activities is simple having alot of chrome tabs open at ones.

I cleaned the laptop fan simply by taking it out and blowing a little on it to remove the dust.

I got the replacement fan from amazon.de, I've tried to use a very small screwdriver to pin down the connector to be certain that it is connected - any other ideas on how to ensure that it is fully connected would be appreciated :)

For documentation I simply replaced the hinges by using a youtube guide (as i've done on 4 other occasions) while i removed the fan on my own (simply removing the screws and unplugging it)