Lenovo E540 Edge No Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_293

Commendable
May 15, 2016
My PC occasionally has some error where it will refuse to start up. If I push the power button the LED lights up but the harddrive doesn't spin up and the screen just stays black.

It was doing this for a while. I would just leave it for a few hours and then it would work again. Then it just started working normally again.

Today I picked it up and moved it and now it's back to its old tricks.

Any ideas? It's a Lenovo E540 Edge running Windows 10. It can't be more than 2.5 years old, so I'm hoping the hardware isn't failing...

If moving it made it react differently, I would wonder then if anything internal is loose or gets knocked loose.

If you feel comfortable opening it up, I would look inside and check all the connections. And, if necessary, disconnect and then reconnect them. Also check the battery for 'wiggle' room. Which it shouldn't have.

Michael_293

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I did open it up and unplug/ replug what I could, but I'm hardly a tech expert so I wasn't really sure what I was doing. Either way it's not starting - and I'm pretty sure the only thing that is getting powered right now is the LED on the case

Michael_293

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I managed to fix it.

It turns out I had to reset the cmos battery. Its the second time I've had this same issue and apparently it's pretty common with this model of laptop.

At least it's working, no way I was going to be able to afford a new one right now

Michael_293

Commendable
May 15, 2016
So yeah it worked for a few days and now it's back to not working. Its really annoying. I'm trying to reset the cmos again now but I was wondering if anyone knew any more permanent solutions?

Michael_293

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Didn't even know you could replace those.

I guess it makes sense though. Once it actually starts it works like normal no problem. Its like a car engine that's just not sparking

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS