[SOLVED] Lenovo EMC2 NAS Storage Shared Folder Hide Settings

seema kanwal

Reputable
Aug 6, 2020
Dear Community,

We have NAS Lenovo EMC2 connected with AD.
All users access their domain Id suername and password to access shared folder in this file server.
As an admin, there are certain folders of ex-employees which contains alot of data that for some reason i can't delete but instead I want to hide those foders.
How can I do that?
I can't seem to find any settings in the portal.
Please guide me on this.

Here is the link of the file in which I have explained the issue in detail with screenshots:
https://crescentpk-my.sharepoint.co...NGvvwWeBkQzQoB3N_ZxfdCROIo3an-_DUGkw?e=zgKPt9

Thanks

Solution
Yes its a Top level folder unfortunately.
"Is this whole platform in SharePoint?" I didnot understan this question of yours.
OK, then....change that data from being in that Top level folder. Move it to a sub, and unauthorized people can't see it at all.

As for "SharePoint", if you can't definitively answer Yes or No, it is No.

seema kanwal

Reputable
Aug 6, 2020
Why isn't this being done with user or group permissions?
Only a restricted set of people should have access to that. HR/Legal, for instance.
If no one else has actual Read permissions, presumably they can't see it.
Yes they can't access it If they have rights they get the message access denied. But they can see all the folders by typing \\10.1.0.12 on run from their system and when they click on a specific folder If they have been given access they can open it and If not they get the message "Access Denied". But I want Ex-Employee Folders to be hidden which isn't the case right now.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes they can't access it If they have rights they get the message access denied. But they can see all the folders by typing \\10.1.0.12 on run from their system and when they click on a specific folder If they have been given access they can open it and If not they get the message "Access Denied". But I want Ex-Employee Folders to be hidden which isn't the case right now.
So they see a folder labeled "ExEmployees". Problem?
They can't read the contents.

Or, a top level folder, with proper access restrictions, labeled "HR". The ex employee data is in levels below that. At most, they would see a folder labeled "HR", but nothing below that.

Trying to "hide" this is not the way. Someone in the company needs access and to be able to see it. But obviously, not all employees.
A proper permission model is what is needed here.

Is this whole platform in SharePoint?

seema kanwal

Reputable
Aug 6, 2020
So they see a folder labeled "ExEmployees". Problem?
They can't read the contents.

Or, a top level folder, with proper access restrictions, labeled "HR". The ex employee data is in levels below that. At most, they would see a folder labeled "HR", but nothing below that.

Trying to "hide" this is not the way. Someone in the company needs access and to be able to see it. But obviously, not all employees.
A proper permission model is what is needed here.

Is this whole platform in SharePoint?
Yes its a Top level folder unfortunately.
"Is this whole platform in SharePoint?" I didnot understan this question of yours.