jon18

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
Hello everyone
I have a lenovo tiny pc m715q with a problem. Every time I start the pc I have to log in to the bios and enable csm to start windows. It disables itself after every restart and gives me the error 1962. The working settings don't get saved as the default in the bios. The cmos battery is brand new. I tried using a linux drive and the problem went away so it may be connected to the windows 10 install. I used an official win10 iso from the microsoft website.
Is there any way to correct this problem? I have been discussing this on the lenovo forums but the couldn't help me.
thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not going to only be a windows caused problem if you have to go into bios to set CSM every startup. That shows its hardware... something to do with bios or the motherboard. It should stay in CSM mode even through a restart. That is what cmos battery is for.

A disturbed startup could hurt windows if you have Fast Startup enabled. It could corrupt the install. PC with fast startup enabled are only really off on a restart.

That might help explain why the error only happens on restarts too. Before win 8, a PC that was off had no power draw, now with fast startup they get a little to keep ram alive. it might be enough to maintain the settings in bios. I also think it might help hdd.

how new is the hdd? have you checked its health? could be it doesn't show up on a restart. Some bios swap from CSM to UEFI if they can't find a boot drive at start, they will restart and try new mode. My old Asus board did that. So It could be one reason its swapping at start... I don't know the bios on your PC though.

Last edited:

jon18

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
its not going to only be a windows caused problem if you have to go into bios to set CSM every startup. That shows its hardware... something to do with bios or the motherboard. It should stay in CSM mode even through a restart. That is what cmos battery is for.

A disturbed startup could hurt windows if you have Fast Startup enabled. It could corrupt the install. PC with fast startup enabled are only really off on a restart.

That might help explain why the error only happens on restarts too. Before win 8, a PC that was off had no power draw, now with fast startup they get a little to keep ram alive. it might be enough to maintain the settings in bios. I also think it might help hdd.

how new is the hdd? have you checked its health? could be it doesn't show up on a restart. Some bios swap from CSM to UEFI if they can't find a boot drive at start, they will restart and try new mode. My old Asus board did that. So It could be one reason its swapping at start... I don't know the bios on your PC though.

The drive is a brand new nvme. I tested a sata ssd wich also gave the same problem. Afaik there is no fast boot option in this bios. Maybe it's under a different name

Last edited: