Lenovo Explorer with GTX 1060 and i5 2500K?

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Now that the Lenovo Explorer is only $200 I'm finally considering getting into the VR game. I'm concerned my PC won't be able to handle it though. I'm running an Intel i5 2500K (an embarrassingly ancient CPU) and the GTX 1060. Any VR gamers have experience running games on a middling system similar to mine? What was your experience like?

Solution
Your system will handle it fine, I've played VR with a few friends who are using the 4590 however there using a 1050 ti but there gaming experience is pretty smooth. You will want to lower the graphic settings a little bit or use the Nvidia Geforce Experience to set them, while I know it isn't the best for setting your regular games for play ability it does quite well for VR titles. Also overclocking your 2500K may help improve FPS or avoid possible FPS dips while in MR.

Also for a game recommendation and as long as the Lenovo Explorer supports it I'd highly recommend From Other Suns.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Good call. Apparently I'm good to go for High Quality VR!
p9zfr95.png

toshibitsu

Distinguished
The "generic" minimum system requirements as far as a CPU goes is an i5-4590(which outperforms an i5-2600k by about 5 - 6%). The 1060 is also right at the minimum requirements(according to geforce.com).
If anything, you might be able to do simple things like "Cliff House"(Mixed Reality experience from Microsoft) or Google Earth VR. I wouldn't have my hopes up with actual VR games though.

WildCard999

Titan
Your system will handle it fine, I've played VR with a few friends who are using the 4590 however there using a 1050 ti but there gaming experience is pretty smooth. You will want to lower the graphic settings a little bit or use the Nvidia Geforce Experience to set them, while I know it isn't the best for setting your regular games for play ability it does quite well for VR titles. Also overclocking your 2500K may help improve FPS or avoid possible FPS dips while in MR.

Also for a game recommendation and as long as the Lenovo Explorer supports it I'd highly recommend From Other Suns.

Solution

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I have a Lenovo Explorer also. In case you're wondering, quality-wise it's comparable to all the other mixed reality headsets. All of them produce that "screen door effect"(you'll get used to it the longer you wear it). Make sure you register it with Lenovo. The left-eye on mine died after only using it 4 or 5 times. When it happened though it was already months past my purchase date so I had to mail it in to Lenovo for repairs. I mailed it to them on the 5th of this month... their website still shows it's status as "in progress"(luckily I'm not in a rush to get it back).