Lenovo Finally Details Its Standalone Daydream VR HMD, The Mirage Solo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Wow! At that price, it could really gain some traction!

I have to wonder if Qualcomm is playing a long game, and selling the Snapdragon 835 VR at cost.

Assuming it's not seriously flawed in some way, I'm planning on getting one after launch. So far, the only disappointment for me is the 1.5 m range limitation. That suggests it has quite limited AR capabilities. But that's not what they're selling it for, so it's very forgivable at such a price.

jroc188

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
You can get the Rift for $400. Well, that is cute and you forgot about the $1500+ computer you need to use the thing. This for under $400 is all a person needs to get a VR experience.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Not only does Rift require a fairly powerful PC, but it also tethers you and confines you to a fairly small space.

This should enable multi-user experiences in a large room or parking lot, for example. That's a game-changer. And the price is in the realm of a video game console (although it'll probably have a lot fewer quality titles you'll want to play, in the near term). Maybe another Pokemon Go-type craze could really see these things take off.

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Another platform with it's own application base. That's at least three applications platforms now: SteamVR, MS WMR, and Daydream.
Developers having to choose which they are going to code for is going to slow down development overall. At some point, a consortium will need to be created for developing a standard set of APIs that they all use. Similar to how Microsoft/DirectX leveled the playing field with Direct3D back in 1996. However, Microsoft had incentive since the gaming platform was Windows. The difference there was that MS didn't have any hardware in the 3D GPU market. Now they have skin in the hardware game, so they may not be as quick to develop some type of unifying API when it could give reason not to invest in their WMR platform.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Daydream is about 1.5 years old, so I'm not sure why you put it like that. It was first supported on the Pixel phone. This is mainly different in that it supports 6-DoF, rather than the usual 3.

You missed a few, plus HTC is establishing yet another (not related to SteamVR).

First, there was OSVR, dating back before the launch of Rift and Vive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Virtual_Reality

Then, Valve outed OpenVR, which one might see as somewhat self-serving, given that no competing platform, software, or hardware vendors seemed to be involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVR

Finally, OpenXR was initiated as the first proper consortium-led effort (to my knowledge):

https://www.khronos.org/openxr

I'm not optimistic about the prospects for adoption. I foresee most of the software platform guys dragging their feet. I think it'll be driven mostly by GPU makers and big app developers. Most players seem to be involved, but probably some are just there to veto anything that would put them at a disadvantage and possibly even to bog down the whole process.

Not sure how much of a consortium that ever was/is, as MS basically owns it and calls all the shots. Also, it was predated by OpenGL, but that was originally a SGI thing, where they made IRIS GL an open standard. They established the OpenGL Architecture Review Board to maintain & expand it, in 1992 (source: wikipedia).

Status
Not open for further replies.