Lenovo First To Market With Project Tango Smartphone, The Phab2 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Project Tango was a Google ATAP project that eventually migrated from those secretive labs to public demos and now to actual products. Simply put, the technology uses a depth-sensing camera on a mobile device to map any space in (basically) real time. It can then superimpose images and such on top of the real world, which you can see by looking at the device’s display.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/lenovo-intel-project-tango-smartphones,30980.html

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Lenovo First To Market ...
In a race of one, can you really call it "winning"?
;)

Congrats to Lenovo, for sticking with it. I'll probably buy one, if/when they actually hit the street. Let's hope this is just a prelude to a set of AR glasses, or else it'll be another soon-forgotten misstep in the long history of tech.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Whopping 4GB? What is this, 2010? That's standard on a new phone nowadays.
Thank God for microSD support, though.
It's got a big battery, but 6.4" is tablet (phablet, whatever) territory, which comes with that sort of power consumption. Well, I hope they won't pull a Samsung with this one: "Look! A 1.4GHz quad core CPU, a 4.7" screen, this, that...-> puts a 2.100mAh on the device and users are forced to use it in power saving (read: SLOW) mode all day long and avoid using the device to the fullest because enabling functions eats into the battery like they're suffering from wartime hunger.

Smart asses...or engineers , as they call them nowadays.

Of course! Of course! Of course the picture with the camera assembly couldn't just ducking miss. It couldn't. How on Earth could we call it basic marketing nowadays?
"Oh no! I didn't see the camera taken apart, it must have a trucking problem! Oh my God, I'm not buying that smartphone, there are no pictures like the one on this page with a camera taken apart!" is most likely what everyone thinks when the cheap ass marketing department fails to provide that specific picture.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Perhaps you're not aware that the cameras are basically the selling point of the entire phone. This phone is designed for AR at a level nearly akin to Hololens. That also goes some ways towards explaining the large screen.

If it were just an ordinary cell phone, then I'd agree that the camera disassembly would be slightly excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.