Question Lenovo Flex 4 troubles

Jul 8, 2019
Hi,

I purchased a Lenovo Flex 4 display model from BJs today for less than $250. Great specs: i5, 1tb HDD, 8gb ram, backlit keyboard, etc. Only problem is it's not booting correctly.

It comes up with the Lenovo logo and "Preparing Automatic Repair." This gives me the option to Troubleshoot or Turn off PC. Troubleshoot gives me several options (System Restore, System Image Recovery, Startup Repair) which do not work. The command prompt shows an X: drive and I can access the system32 folder and Notepad but commands to check available disks, partitions; repair disks, etc do not work. It cannot find any drives.

When I use the Lenovo boot menu to try to install Windows from a USB stick, it lists a disk with 0.0 space and 0.0 free space and I cannot write anything to it of course.

Now the smoking gun is that the BIOS at times lists a hard drive serial number and then other times it says "not available." I'm thinking it's a loose HDD connection? Any possible ideas?

Thankfully I can return it. I didn't think it would be too messed up considering it couldn't move from the display it was on.

Thanks,

Dan

"Thankfully I can return it"

Then that's what I advise you do --- if you mess with it and break it/make it even worse you may find their return offer is withdrawn.
Apart from that, you shouldn't have to be trying to fix a new product --- that's the vendor's or manufacturer's responsibility.