Lenovo G50-70 - RAM upgrade not working (but detected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sifilitico

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Hello! I just purchased an update for my laptop (Lenovo G 50-70) and its not working.
It has two ram slots:

1. The default RAM that came with the laptop:
Ramaxel RMT3170EF68F9W1600
4 GB / SO-DIMM / DDR3-1600 (800 MHz) / 1.35 V - 1.5 V

2. The one that I´ve purchased:
Kingston 9905469-158.A01LF
4 GB / SO-DIMM / DDR3-1600 (800 MHz) / 1.5 V
Product in Amazon

My laptop has 2 RAM slots, so I added the RAM and it´s not working, but in AIDA 64 I can see the specs of the new one also.
I hope you can help me! Thanks!

Solution
It is always best to buy identical sticks, so when I upgrade one stick to two I buy a new pair. Mixed memory may or may not work.

Those are different voltage sticks. Your current stick is low voltage and the Kingston is not.

Your biggest challenge is that you have a laptop, which probably has limited bios settings. I would check in the bios to see if you can set the Vdimm (memory voltage) to 1.5V. The timings on both appear to be the same at CL11.

You should also check your laptop specs to insure that it can use 2x4GB and not just 2x2GB. THIS is what matches your current memory.

RealBeast

Titan
It is always best to buy identical sticks, so when I upgrade one stick to two I buy a new pair. Mixed memory may or may not work.

Those are different voltage sticks. Your current stick is low voltage and the Kingston is not.

Your biggest challenge is that you have a laptop, which probably has limited bios settings. I would check in the bios to see if you can set the Vdimm (memory voltage) to 1.5V. The timings on both appear to be the same at CL11.

You should also check your laptop specs to insure that it can use 2x4GB and not just 2x2GB. THIS is what matches your current memory.

Solution

sifilitico

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Thanks for the quick response. I´ve checked my BIOS and its, as you said, a simple BIOS, no options to change voltages... So I´ll probably have to buy another compatible RAM. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS