[SOLVED] Lenovo G550 RAM upgrade

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Officially it's supposed to operate at a maximum of 4GB DDR3-1033MHz. If you do want to go to 8GB, you're going to need to look into either a kit parted out from an Apple device, Elpida sticks, that are usually 2x4GB sticks rated at 1600MHz but can operate at 1033MHz at 1.5v.

IMHO, for a laptop based off of the GL40 chipset, it's not worth the digging and eventual resource expenditure to grant you a slightly bigger bragging right than what you currently have since in 2022, 8GB's of ram doesn't exactly cut it.

I've done the above on my sister's Asus UL80VT and that was only because I had disposable funds and I wanted to restomod the laptop, which was 3 years ago. By that time, I had suggested to retire...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Officially it's supposed to operate at a maximum of 4GB DDR3-1033MHz. If you do want to go to 8GB, you're going to need to look into either a kit parted out from an Apple device, Elpida sticks, that are usually 2x4GB sticks rated at 1600MHz but can operate at 1033MHz at 1.5v.

IMHO, for a laptop based off of the GL40 chipset, it's not worth the digging and eventual resource expenditure to grant you a slightly bigger bragging right than what you currently have since in 2022, 8GB's of ram doesn't exactly cut it.

I've done the above on my sister's Asus UL80VT and that was only because I had disposable funds and I wanted to restomod the laptop, which was 3 years ago. By that time, I had suggested to retire the laptop. Given how she fried the laptop, that's exactly what had happened.

Solution