Lenovo Gets Splashtop Instant-On Pre-boot Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I really like this trend of having quick-loading, minimalistic GUI operating systems on more and more mainstream computers. Not only does it push my geek-button, it also shows that the hardware OEMs are doing something to work around Microsoft once in a while (even though their own bloated trial-ware is a significant contributor to longer start-up times).

Plus it's a natural fit for Linux, and a fresh approach to making an OS instead of just tweaking Debian/Red Hat. It's much more innovative and could be more nimbly responsive to the needs of the modern, average user than trying to shoehorn a server/developer/tinkerer-friendly distro into a desktop or laptop.
If people actually use these Splashtop features, that could open the door for broader acceptance of Linux-based or other operating systems and even encourage better hardware support from the vendors.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]how bout an instant-on for crysis?100% resources to video games ftw![/citation]
Assuming somebody puts together a custom gaming splashtop, sure. As soon as Crysis can work with Cedega/Wine/Crossover Games. Right now it's rated "Bronze" in the Wine AppDB. Also I'm not entirely certain how the thing works, but I think it loads the Splashtop OS into RAM, so make sure you have plenty of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.