Lenovo good quality? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanser30

Distinguished
May 28, 2014
I am looking for a high performance laptop for engineering and design. I was looking at the Lenovo laptops since they have a good price to performance. I would like a laptop that could last me for college too since I am a high school student.

I was looking at the Lenovo workstations and I would like to know if they are good quality.

I have a budget of arround 2000 US dollars.

Any recommendation is appreciated
Thanks.

Solution

yeah that dual core is like a "What the?" in the laptop, and that OKAY Quadro (Yeah, it's just OKAY....).
That makes sense, if you really can wait then it's a good choice as well :)
Lenovo is on top for quality for OEM computers, asus would be my #2.

With that said after the whole superfish scandal, I have huge trust issues with Lenovo and would not buy anything from them personally.
Superfish was a malware program Lenovo shipped with consumer grade PCs that would look at data pre/post encryption for any products you bought or was looking at, and sold it to third parties for marketing. The spying/selling of our history was bad enough, but it left the users with a huge security hole to be exploited for identity theft or other acts.

EDITED:
This issue has been patched up and Lenovo has released software to uninstall superfish, but the whole ordeal left a bad taste in mouth and shows you how they are wiling to overlook your security for profits.

hanser30

Distinguished
May 28, 2014
So do you think I should go ahead and buy it?
I was thinking about buying the w550 mobile workstation but I was also thinking about waiting till Intel resleased their mobile quad cores to get a bit more of performance and more battery life than the w541

What do you think?

crytech

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014
There's no point waiting for quad core broadwell since (I can bet on this) the performance margin won't be that high.
If you're really concern about your budget then W550 is pretty decent, just add extra memory and you'll good to go, even though it's not a 3K display. If you want the most performance you can get, go with W540.
depends on your budget mind-set

hanser30

Distinguished
May 28, 2014
Well, the w550s does have a 3k display. What really worries me is that the dual core and the quadro 620m will reduce the performance. The w541 is really good since you can do a raid array setup, quad core, and a k2100m for extreme performance. I really don't need the laptop right now since I am planning on buying it during the summer so I can wait for the 5th gen quad cores to come out and maybe Lenovo will include a better graphics card.

crytech

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014

yeah that dual core is like a "What the?" in the laptop, and that OKAY Quadro (Yeah, it's just OKAY....).
That makes sense, if you really can wait then it's a good choice as well :)

Solution

hanser30

Distinguished
May 28, 2014
Ok so... I actually went for the w541 since it looks like Lenovo will take forever to release the new laptop. I ordered it with an i7-4810mq, Quadro k2100m, 4gb ram and 500gb hard drive. I will upgrade the ram and hdd when I get it.

Thanks for your help guys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.