Lenovo IdeaCentre Q180 Claims "World's Smallest Desktop"

Status
Not open for further replies.

J3d1M1nD7r1cKs

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
What the heck is up with the garbo pricing? VIA's line is 3-5x better than this. And it's prolly more along the lines of core2/1st gen nehalem dual cores.

This offering is garbage. ^

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
2GB RAM can be a bottleneck pretty easily these days with the demands of some programs and multi-tasking. It's a Thin Client that doesn't need a term server!

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
features an Intel Atom CPU and an AMD Radeon HD 6450A graphics

there's where i stopped reading.

HD6450A its a very nice gpu...but the Atoms are so bad cpu...of course this thing goes for a entry sector maybe even for the office...but with that cpu :/

jimmy-bee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I buy enough stuff made in China that I do not want to buy Lenovo that is not only Built in China, the company is also Chinese owned. Sorry, I will buy a Apple first and slam Linux on it. At least Apple is owned by Americans. Same goes for Dell and others.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Thats sound racism to me.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom]there's where i stopped reading.HD6450A its a very nice gpu...but the Atoms are so bad cpu...of course this thing goes for a entry sector maybe even for the office...but with that cpu[/citation]

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather have an E-350 than an Atom. At least it has some balls. Llano would be better though.

Lenovo's consumer design dept. is focussing strictly on Intel stuff though, no matter how shitty it is.

villanim

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
stingstang

Horrible. AMD APU, and Linux. $200 at the most and it would be FAR better.
You do realize that this was developed for use an HTPC, not an everyday general purpose PC?

villanim

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]amstech[/nom]2GB RAM can be a bottleneck pretty easily these days with the demands of some programs and multi-tasking. It's a Thin Client that doesn't need a term server![/citation]

What this article fails to mention, is that this PC was developed for use as an HTPC, not a general purpose everyday PC. In this regard, it more than exceeds at its designated task. Now, what I would like to see is a general purpose PC in this form factor.

villanim

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]jimmy-bee[/nom]I buy enough stuff made in China that I do not want to buy Lenovo that is not only Built in China, the company is also Chinese owned. Sorry, I will buy a Apple first and slam Linux on it. At least Apple is owned by Americans. Same goes for Dell and others.[/citation]

Lenovo is 20% owned by IBM. At least Lenovo has their call centers and parts center located in the USA, cannot say that for Dell now can you? Apple also has outsourced their call centers (Philippines), so at least Lenovo has created jobs in the US while Dell and Apple has eliminated jobs (and in Apples case pun not intended). So, if you wish to purchase a Dell, be my guest, as you can have a laptop whose system board will die within a year or you will score other quality issues, while my Lenovo will just work.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]villanim[/nom]Lenovo is 20% owned by IBM. At least Lenovo has their call centers and parts center located in the USA, cannot say that for Dell now can you? Apple also has outsourced their call centers (Philippines), so at least Lenovo has created jobs in the US while Dell and Apple has eliminated jobs (and in Apples case pun not intended). So, if you wish to purchase a Dell, be my guest, as you can have a laptop whose system board will die within a year or you will score other quality issues, while my Lenovo will just work.[/citation]

The last thing we need to do is send more money to China. They launch cyber-attacks, constantly spy, and are growing more belligerent about imposing their territorial rights.

To me, having a call center in the Philippines is a plus. It's a very poor country, and the people need an opportunity to have a good life. These call centers are hopefully the beginning of more opportunities for people that have so few. And they don't launch cyber-attacks or constantly have spies try to steal stuff. They aren't causing conflict with neighbors, and they don't artificially lower their currency so it's difficult for other countries to sell to them.

It's high time people realize China is not an ally, but an enemy. That's how they see us. Hopefully more businesses will leave China, and move to countries like the Philippines, or neighboring areas.

I won't buy Lenovo for the same reason. We need to keep money in the United States, or at least allied countries. Not send it to enemies that hate us, steal from us, and try to undermine our country.

villanim

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]The last thing we need to do is send more money to China. They launch cyber-attacks, constantly spy, and are growing more belligerent about imposing their territorial rights.To me, having a call center in the Philippines is a plus. It's a very poor country, and the people need an opportunity to have a good life. These call centers are hopefully the beginning of more opportunities for people that have so few. And they don't launch cyber-attacks or constantly have spies try to steal stuff. They aren't causing conflict with neighbors, and they don't artificially lower their currency so it's difficult for other countries to sell to them. It's high time people realize China is not an ally, but an enemy. That's how they see us. Hopefully more businesses will leave China, and move to countries like the Philippines, or neighboring areas. I won't buy Lenovo for the same reason. We need to keep money in the United States, or at least allied countries. Not send it to enemies that hate us, steal from us, and try to undermine our country.[/citation]

Lenovo is not China. They may be based in China, but they have done business here for decades, first as an IBM partner manufacturing their Thinkpads for them, and then when IBM decided to get out of the PC business, they were the only ones IBM trusted with the brand they built, which is why they sold their PC division to Lenovo. Lenovo just makes a quality product that just works. You cannot say that about to many companies, especially Dell and HP. There is a reason Lenovo's sales increased 55% in the US while Dell's dropped 4%. Lenovo actually created jobs in the US by opening call centers here, and their parts distribution center here as well Georgia and Tennessee respectively) something that cannot be said for Dell, as they closed all their manufacturing plants here, and all their systems are built in CHINA!!!

villanim

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]jom457[/nom]My ipod says made in china[/citation]

I only know of two electronic devices that are made in the US. Vizio TV's, and Curthis Mathis TV's. Other then that, most electronics, including iPods, iPhones, iPads are made in China, so people can boycott China all they want, but they will go naked and own nothing.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]villanim[/nom]You do realize that this was developed for use an HTPC, not an everyday general purpose PC?[/citation]

Which was designed as an HTPC? The Lenovo? So was the E-350. In the case of the E-350 though, AMD doesn't put those kinds of labels on their processors. It's just a low-cost, energy-efficient APU that HAPPENS TO BE a perfect HTPC processor and graphics solution. It can also be used for general computing too. I use one and am quite happy with it. My main system that I use is a Lenovo ThinkPad x120e.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Just FYI: All of Lenovo's out-of-warranty parts warehouses for their business PC's are still owned and operated by IBM, even now. The Idea brand stuff is almost a completely separate entity though.

villanim

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]waethorn[/nom]Just FYI: All of Lenovo's out-of-warranty parts warehouses for their business PC's are still owned and operated by IBM, even now. The Idea brand stuff is almost a completely separate entity though.[/citation]

This blog did not mention HP, Acer, or Dell now did it? And yes, Lenovo is positioning, and marketing this as an HTPC. Just because you choose to use otherwise does not change what Lenovo's target audience is, just means either you do not have the budget for a full fledged desktop or are a miser. :)

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Anyway I don't care for China and its slaves either, and hey most of my clothes are made in Mexico or Central America, so Booyah.

Anyway, as for this device.... I would not buy it......... because it sucks and costs too much.

An Atom processor??? Knock it off.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]villanim[/nom]This blog did not mention HP, Acer, or Dell now did it? And yes, Lenovo is positioning, and marketing this as an HTPC. Just because you choose to use otherwise does not change what Lenovo's target audience is, just means either you do not have the budget for a full fledged desktop or are a miser.[/citation]

Who mentioned any of those brands? I didn't.

Also, as with a lot of Lenovo's poor decisions in their Idea line, this is no exception. Atom's suck. There are better processors from AMD for the same money, or less, designed for this task.

I'd like to see more aggressive approaches from AMD too though. For instance, they need an Opteron APU for RemoteFX in VDI. That would virtually kill Intel dead. If you could do a 2P or 4P multi-core rack space with full GPU support in VDI, and not need to load up your rack with discrete GPU cards, the integration means very tight rack density.

Status
Not open for further replies.