Lenovo IdeaCentre Y900 Razer Edition Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Let me get this straight. Gaming... Prebuilt... Desktop... GeForce GTX... Razer...
2017: spinning hard drives. optical disk drives.
Do we get why this is a mega fail??

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012

This product has been out for a little while. We gave it a look because it's still available, the pricing dropped, and we had it in our lab for a bit. I recently disclosed the reason for these late Skylake system entries (I was traveling, other projects were assigned that took priority) in the comment thread of our Gigabyte Gaming GT review, but the Lenovo Y900RE is still a relevant purchasing option for regular consumers looking for a flashy gaming PC with a popular brand's peripherals included. We all know that Skylake CPUs and Kaby Lake CPUs are neck and neck with bottom-line performance, so why wouldn't a price-conscious consumer consider this with its reduced cost?

Don't worry though, we have Kaby Lake reviews coming in hot!

Motherboard
Custom Lenovo Z170 Chipset

Memory
16GB (1x16GB) DDR4-2133

Power Supply
650W 80 Plus Bronze Certified

^All custom/generic/unbranded. That would be a big concern for me. Also, that 16GB single stick of memory would be useless to pair up against another 16GB and need to be sold off (and good luck with that). And what's up with not at least having dual channel 2x8GB sticks? Senseless.

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Does your pcpartpicker system come fully built and ready to plug in?

Yeah... apple and oranges.

jchelios

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

You're looking at it bass-acwards: If someone cares enough about PC gaming to build a $1500 computer, they're gonna wanna build it themselves. Therefore the value of the labor factor of production during the assembly stage is negative — you'd have to pay them in the form of a discount to accept that particular annoyance.

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
I like to build my own computers -- but I'm not a gamer, just someone who appreciates having the power to get work done quickly. Skylake may be long in the tooth, but it's still very viable for those who don't need the absolute latest-and-greatest/

If you look at this machine as a high-end business computer, it makes a lot of sense. It could be a fine workstation (and the starting point for a much better system) for a professional photographer, a Youtuber, video editor, etc. It would also be great for CPAs, bookkeepers and others who just need to crunch numbers. Such users generally value their time too highly to build their own business computers, so at the current price it would be a bargain for them. As a bonus, after work it can entertain as a "good enough" game computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS