Aug 17, 2019
Hello all,

About 1.5 years ago, my 8 year old had some money saved up, and wanted to buy a laptop. We went to Best Buy, and found this Lenovo Ideapad 120s for under $200, and he decided he wanted it. I was apprehensive to let him buy such a cheap laptop, but I did a very quick Google search on reviews, and it looked ok, so I let him buy it.

Immediately upon setting it up, I could tell it was slow. Real slow. It's got a Celeron N3350, 2GB of Ram (1.85 useable), and is running Win10 Home 64bit. He tried downloading minecraft--which was unplayable--so I took him to Microcenter and we built him a desktop--shelving this stupid Lenovo.

Anyhow, to my question. I need to use a laptop for a couple of weeks, and I pulled out this Lenovo. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here? I get that it was a REALLY cheap machine, but we bought this thing a year ago and it's almost unusable. There are no files/pictures/videos- nothing on this thing. It's bouncing between 100% cpu and 100% memory usage. I've disabled superfetch. I've disabled windows search. It's just not getting any better. Note, it has been sitting for a while, so it still has 1703. I'm in the process of updating now.

I'm not looking to get this thing to do anything demanding. I just need it to do general work stuff for a couple of weeks. At this rate, I don't think I'll even be able to do that.

Also, has anyone had one of these things, and know what's going on with storage in these things? Windows 10 uses (I think) 10GB? Like I said, I have NOTHING on this PC, and I have 2.5GB available from my 27GB HD (woohoo!) that came installed.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2019
other then web browser? if the work thing is online, might be ok.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I can probably get by with it, because most of the things I'll need to do are online. But, even opening Edge can spike my memory usage to near 100%.

I guess I just don't understand how a laptop like that can even be sold in the first place. How is it even possible to buy a brand new laptop with 2GB of available storage and barely enough resources to run the OS?

I understand you get what you pay for, but why are the reviews so good? This is why I figured there was something wrong with my particular pc.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
You made a big mistake buying a 200 $ brand new laptop

In those kind of laptops manufacturers use the cheapest possible hardware and they are generally not upgradable.

Ratings tend to be high on value for money products, it doesn't say anything about the performance.

You're able to get a sub 200 laptop is itself a reason why it's got a high rating.

It's not just the cpu, but also the ram and storage that are holding you back. That's an emmc storage.