[SOLVED] Lenovo Ideapad 530s-14RR Water Damage repair

Aug 13, 2019
Hi,

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 530 that I have had for a little over 6 months and today, water got into it. I had a glass somewhat close to the laptop, lid down and somehow, while I was out of my house a family member had found the glass fallen over with my laptop in a pool of water on my desk. I do not know how a thick glass, half full of water could magically fall, but anyway I do not really care about that. I asked someone to remove the back panel, shake the laptop out and place it in a humid area wrapped in a towel. I also asked them once they get the chance to gently blow a hair dryer around it to dry some water out. They performed this and found water near the fan and heatsink and then they proceeded to do the unthinkable, attempt to power it on which they found it would not. I did not ask once for them to do this, which infuriates me as I am a hardware newbie and even know this.

So, I am still currently in work, an hour away from my home, unable to leave until 5 with a soaking laptop awaiting me. What would be the best course of action for this issue? I have a slight plan but I would like to know the forum's take on how to resolve this.

Thanks,
Jeffery

Solution
I would open the laptop up as much as possible without getting extreme.
I would remove the "easily removable" panels etc.
Then I would visually inspect for water and if I saw it I would blot it up or suck it out with a show vac......and while I had the shop vac out.....I would suck around the components etc to get whatever water I could get.
Then I would put it somewhere very dry if I could.
If you have a dehumidifier....I would put it in a room with a dehumidifier for a couple days or so.

Then I would try it.
I would open the laptop up as much as possible without getting extreme.
I would remove the "easily removable" panels etc.
Then I would visually inspect for water and if I saw it I would blot it up or suck it out with a show vac......and while I had the shop vac out.....I would suck around the components etc to get whatever water I could get.
Then I would put it somewhere very dry if I could.
If you have a dehumidifier....I would put it in a room with a dehumidifier for a couple days or so.

Then I would try it.

Solution