Question Lenovo Ideapad 730S shutting down with battery remaining

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I've recently had my Ideapad 730S start shutting down with some percentage of battery life remaining when on battery power. It's an immediate shut down with no warning. Conveniently, this seems to have started just beyond the warranty period. Based on visual battery percentage, I'd guess it's still showing about 20% or so, but can't confirm. System is up to date via Lenovo Service Bridge, Windows updated, etc. Any suggestions on what I can do or try?

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Try doing a battery calibration, the Lenovo support site should have the battery manager software. If that does not help, try a new battery.
I ended up purchasing a new battery, but the problem has not been resolved. Are there other things to look at? I'm about ready to order another computer and take the loss at this point.

I ended up purchasing a new battery, but the problem has not been resolved. Are there other things to look at? I'm about ready to order another computer and take the loss at this point.
Did you buy an official lenovo replacement part number?
Cheaper "compatible" offerings may not include the chips needed for proper battery management.
There should be some Lenovo software activated to monitor the battery situation.
Look at the lenovo user forums for your particular laptop.

I've recently had my Ideapad 730S start shutting down with some percentage of battery life remaining when on battery power. It's an immediate shut down with no warning. Conveniently, this seems to have started just beyond the warranty period. Based on visual battery percentage, I'd guess it's still showing about 20% or so, but can't confirm. System is up to date via Lenovo Service Bridge, Windows updated, etc. Any suggestions on what I can do or try?
Does the laptop work normally when plugged in?