Question Lenovo Ideapad 730S won't detect external monitor

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Recently purchased a Lenovo Ideapad 730S and am continually having problems getting it to recognize an external monitor. It's worked...sporadically. And I can't pinpoint why or how to get it resolved permanently. The laptop has only USB-C ports. I have an HDMI-to-USB-C adapter. I've made sure there were no lingering Windows 10 updates, updated drivers (straight from Intel's website), pretty much everything. The last time this happened, maybe 2-3 weeks ago I was on with Lenovo's tech support and they ultimately remoted in and got it working, but I do not remember what they did. The main thing is that until just yesterday, there were no substantive changes to anything on the laptop, and I only started with uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics driver, Windows updates, etc.

Anyone have any idea how to correct this? I'm considering buying an HDMI-to USB-C cable to see if that does anything differently. I'm able to connect the monitor to another laptop via the HDMI connection, so I guess it's possible the adapter is faulty, but again, I've had it working on occasion.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop? You might want to pass on a link to the USB-C to HDMI adapter. A dock/breakaway hub would've been a better idea to invest in.

Can you parse an SKU for your IdeaPad?