Question Lenovo Ideapad freeze even on BIOS screen

SaltCityBoy

Honorable
Dec 5, 2016
Hello,
I have problem with my Lenovo Ideapad 5 15ARE05 (Ryzen 4700, 16GB RAM, Win 11, no dedicated GPU).
Laptop was turned on a desk with only browser opened, I didn't use it for around hour and a half and screen just got all messy and turned off. So I had to turn it off by long press of the button. After that I tried to turn it on, I got the light indicator on power button on, I could change keyboard backlight, but image was all black. On the touch of the hand it was not overheated. So I left it work about 5 minutes and tried again. This time it booted windows, but maybe after 30sec of working all went black everything. So I wasn't sure is it maybe just screen, I tried connecting via HDMI to screen, but without success. I turned it off again and waited for few minutes, turned on and started some music. This time screen got messy again and it was playing some loud noise from the speaker. Because warranty expired 6 months ago, I started to look what could be the problem. This is what I tried and figure out so far:
  1. I tried to boot in safe mode (couldn't do it, everything freeze before I reach that point).
  2. Sometimes screen is black from the beginning, I just see backlight panel was turned on but without Lenovo logo or anything.
  3. I tried to open BIOS, but everything freeze after 10-30 seconds there as well (I can always control backlight of the keyboard with fn+space).
  4. I opened the back side of the laptop (Small amount of dust, nothing special, cleaned everything, no burned spots or anything unusual on motherboard).
  5. I disconnected battery for some period, didn't helped. Disconnected CMOS battery, same.
  6. Disconnected SSD and Wifi modul, all the same, it will freeze on BIOS or no bootable device screen after some period. RAM is soldered.
  7. Put everything back together, now sometimes it will boot windows or try to do it and then get BSOD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (What failed: ntoskrnl.exe), but after BSOD pops it will everything again freeze. Ventilator is spinning, backlight still possible to change.

Any advice what could be the problem? Sounds like something serious because this BIOS freeze after short period of time is not something you would expect to happen and is preventing me to do some troubleshooting and figure out what is happening.

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Laptop was turned on a desk with only browser opened, I didn't use it for around hour and a half and screen just got all messy and turned off.
You might have an issue with the laptop overheating, if it artifacted after a while.

Did you try connecting the laptop to an external panel? If the laptop came with only the APU onboard, you might want to see if you can update the BIOS on the laptop, if there's any BIOS updates pending on said laptop.

That being said, did you inspect the cooler for any dirt or debris that might be impeding the cooling vents...?

SaltCityBoy

Honorable
Dec 5, 2016
Laptop was turned on a desk with only browser opened, I didn't use it for around hour and a half and screen just got all messy and turned off.
You might have an issue with the laptop overheating, if it artifacted after a while.

Did you try connecting the laptop to an external panel? If the laptop came with only the APU onboard, you might want to see if you can update the BIOS on the laptop, if there's any BIOS updates pending on said laptop.

That being said, did you inspect the cooler for any dirt or debris that might be impeding the cooling vents...?

Hi Luftij,

Cooling system looks fine and without dust, laptop is 2,5 years old so I don't expect also thermal paste is causing an issue. But I could try to replace it.
Problem is that there is no time now for laptop to overheat.

9 of 10 attempts now to start laptop is like this:
  • I press power on button
  • Light on power button goes on, keyboard backlight go on, fan starts spinning
  • After 5sec keyboard light goes off, fan stops spinning, power light stays on
  • After some period (if I don't force shutdown) fans starts spinning again and I can control backlight with fn+space

1 od 10 attempts:
- Windows boots and after 10sec everything freeze or screen goes black
-I open BIOS, BIOS also freeze after 10-15sec