Question Lenovo Ideapad P500 - Wifi Card whitelist/BIOS Mod ?

May 15, 2022
Hi! Thanks to anyone who helps. Also, please let me know if I should post this somewhere else - I didn't know whether to put this under motherboards or somewhere else.

So, recently, I bought a mini-pcie to pcie x16 mining riser so I could use a GPU I had as an external GPU for my laptop (Lenovo Ideapad p500) (also, I know I shouldn't really use a mining riser for this purpose, but I'm on a tight budget). So, I take out the wifi card, hook up my riser, graphics card, and psu how its supposed to be. When I turn it on - nothing. The fans are running on both the GPU and the PSU, but, when I go into device manager, it doesn't even pop up anywhere. I try the riser in another older laptop I have, and it works. So, I try to install the GPU driver, I try making sure the plug is secure, I try uninstalling the old graphics driver, I even put in the old wifi card (which it recognizes) and... nothing.

After some research, I learn my laptop is whitelisted, and will not recognize any other device besides the original wifi card. I read that the solution is to deactivate the LAN card under advanced settings in the BIOS, but I don't have advanced settings, so I just go under configuration, disable Wireless LAN, and it still doesn't work. At this point, I don't know what to do.

I eventually find a video (below) on modding the BIOS. The modding requires me to use intel ME Tools V8 r3 (which I think should work, as my Intel Management Engine is v8). However, when I load it up in the first set of instructions (in cmd), it says, "Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets." I'm stumped (It might be that I copied over windows from another PC onto this PC - I did reset windows though, and it installed all the necessary drivers). Can anyone help as to how to disable whitelist on this PC?

(PS - I cannot back up my BIOS with the software in the video, as almost every major antivirus sees the backup software as a virus. Also, I can't go into safe mode, as it gives me a BSOD).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4xA3EXPDA&t=67s

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS