Lenovo Ideapad z580 dark screen

oncoc18

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Hey all,

So I bought a Lenovo Ideapad Z580 a little over a year ago and it has been great with absolutely no problems. However, yesterday all of a sudden, the laptop froze and when I restarted it, the screen remained dark. All the lights turn on and the fan whirs (I'm not sure if it's quieter than it was before, but it's still going). I've tried removing the battery and the cord, I've also tried the RAM. I checked to see if they were dislodged, switched the slots, and tried them individually and still just a dark screen. When I push the one key rescue system button, the menu comes up with four options, but the only option that works is the BIOS Setup menu. Everything else leaves the dark screen.

I also noticed when I try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete, the screen flickers for a second, but nothing else happens. I did drop my laptop off my bed recently, is it possible that something was dislodged? I've taken the cover off and haven't noticed anything out of place, but then again I know next to nothing about laptops. I've searched the Lenovo forums and the only solutions people came up with was the RAM but that doesn't seem to be the problem here unless both cards are bad. Is there any way to test that? I would call their support, but since my warranty has expired, they're charging me an arm and a leg just for the call. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Here are the basic specs:
15.6 inches
Processor Intel Core i5-3210M (2.3 GHz 3rd Gen)
RAM ddr3 sdram 6 GB (4 GB +2 GB)
Hard Drive 500 GB
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS Windows 8
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM

Thanks in advance,

OC