Question Lenovo ih61m 100% cpu fan speed

NTomaCristian

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
So my issue is the following, i have a Lenovo IH61-M mobo with an i5-3570S
At some random point a few months back when i turned on the pc the CPU fan speed started and was stuck at 100%, which mind you is 4500rpm for some reason!!
now, it's very annoying, and the only solution i've found to work was to use open hardware monitor, set it to start on windows startup in the background and set the fan curve to 40%, which made it quiet.
the problem is, that if i don't use that, the fan speed is always at 100% no matter what i do... if i m in the bios? 4500rpm hell, if i m reinstalling windows? same situation..
now, from what i've gathered that it is, my fan speed controller from the mobo is broken, how i managed to do that i have no clue as it just happened at one point..
if that's the case i want to know what can i do to fix the problem, or if that is not the case what is happening and what can i do....

Try resetting your bios--it could just be a bios corruption. Otherwise, it could be a sensor on the motherboard that failed causing a 'closed' condition in failure. That's a lot better than failing in an 'open' condition where the fan would just stop and your cpu burn up. :eek:

Run HWmonitor.
It will tell you the current, minimum and maximum temperatures.
Minimum should be 10-15c. over ambient.
If you see a max of 100c, you will throttle.

If there is a problem with your cooling or clogged cooling airways the fan will run at max to compensate.

Check to see if there is a motherboard bios that addresses your issue.

NTomaCristian

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
My bios isn't corrupted as i updated it since it started happening, and i reset it multiple times, also there aren't any options in the bios to change fan speed, 0 settings.

also, i am using ohw already, my cpu is always at 30-40c, so no throttling

the fan starts from the moment i turn on my computer, at 4000rpm, which is maximum, and doesn't change at all.

NTomaCristian

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
i am using ohm to lower the fan speed, but i want to fix it entirely not just with software, when powering up and in the bios/windows installation it's still the same loud 4000rpm

Last edited: