Lenovo is King of the PC Market, Says Gartner; HP Says No

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take a Lenovo over an HP any day of the week. Hell, I bought my T430 (great machine) after selling my X130e to my sister (another good machine, and it's a perfect fit for her), after previously recommending my mom buy my dad a consumer-grade Lenovo (which isn't the fastest laptop on the planet, but is great considering the price). Now that her HP has died, that's her main computer, too.

Now, in fairness, that old HP Pavilion lasted many, many more years than it deserved to given the inexplicable design of the cooling system. But one day it started just randomly shutting off a minute or so after booting. I took it completely apart, blew out the heat sink, put some AS5 on the CPU, put it all back together, and it sort of works, but it still shuts down when you tax the CPU. I'm guessing a temp sensor is shot...but really, when you put some black tape over the fan intake because the fan is no longer there, and design the cooling system so that air is sucked in through the keyboard, it's a miracle the thing lasted as long as it did.

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
I own a Lenovo Y580 and I must say, I love it!! No regrets at all. Price for performance ratio is amazing for this machine... EXCELLENT MACHINE!

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Even Dell gets my vote over HP, let alone Lenovo. HP may or may not have more market share if we include workstations, but that doesn't make them better. Lenovo wins in quality over HP, no doubt about it IMO. It's not like HP has no good products, but Lenovo has a higher level of consistent quality overall from what I've seen personally as well as from what I've read.

Can't make crap and expect people to continue to buy it forever. I think that many will look at Lenovo as a quality brand for a while like Compaq, Dell, IBM, and HP. Even Apple is starting to look generic and certainly their build quality has sunk but personally quality should be priority. There is in general a lack of quality and uniquely special products that become a must have for everyone.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
What is surprising to me is that HP's global shipment of 13.9M units is pretty small in comparison to Samsung and Apple shipments of smartphones and tablets. Lenovo's sold 13.8M PC and it's less than Apple's 17M iPads and Samsung's 30+M Galaxy S3.

That's how old but proven tech is crashed by new and easier to carry around "gadgets"
~IvanTO

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Can't knock Lenovo, family member bought one and I expected to have to reinstal the whole OS to get rid of the crapware and to my surprise there wasn't really any minus Mcafee beyond that there was a trial of MS Office and a bunch of really small programs that didn't hog any resources that did some neat things like adjust the monitor brightness by using the webcam if you have one, etc. So I uninstalled Mcafee and just diabled the others from auto booting and it was about felt like it was a clean instal of the OS there just wasn't any junk.

But I was surprised again when I poped open the side of the case and found they took the extra step to instal silicone gromets on the fans to reduce vibration and noise which explains why I never hear the machine running. Overall the internal quality is good considering the parts and what it is using, granted we typically use higher quality stuff while building our own but I will say it be hard for me to match that machine in particular at the price point it was bought for had I built one myself. (was bought on sale not retail, but still)

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]el33t[/nom]I own a Lenovo Y580 and I must say, I love it!! No regrets at all. Price for performance ratio is amazing for this machine... EXCELLENT MACHINE![/citation]
I own a y580 too, got it to take with me into college and I've also had no problems with it.... not to mention getting it for ~$900 base price was a steal

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Ask the investors what they think about HP. :)
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=HPQ+Interactive#symbol=hpq;range=6m;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

I know HP had a bad rep in the past but I think people are being a bit harsh. Having recently purchased notebooks from HP (DV6z) I can attest to their quality and value. It kinda of surprised me to see they did a completely 180 degree turn and started making good machines.

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
all they needed to do was stick with webOS. Having used iOS, android and WP7.5, it was a clearly had a place in the market (read just about any review of any webOS product) yet they didn't have the one thing they needed: Balls.

Yes it takes Balls to play with the big boys, and now they are reduced to starting next year as 'just another windows tablet maker' when they could have been the outright number 2 tablet in the US (which they were at the time of pulling the plug).

G

Lenovo is large enough to take on a Microsoft/Apple closed ecosystem, I hope tha Levono begins to support an industry standard version of Linux to counter Microsoft/Apple land grab! Support for a third choice in operating systems should be of primary concern for every computer OEM that can survive, and an industry standard open source operating system would help make this happen! I also think that AMD and the HSA foundation should also be supported by anyone that values choice and freedom in the computer market!

[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]I know HP had a bad rep in the past but I think people are being a bit harsh. Having recently purchased notebooks from HP (DV6z) I can attest to their quality and value. It kinda of surprised me to see they did a completely 180 degree turn and started making good machines.[/citation]
Man, I dunno. Do the keyboards still break when you breathe on them? 'Cause they were pretty bad for a while, and that wasn't that long ago. Weren't some of their button-less trackpads also pretty abysmal?

The two DV6's I have are incredibly good quality. No issues with the keyboards, screen or track pads. I was even surprised that they have nearly no bloatware installed by default. Of course I put my own Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on them, I have standards after all.

As I said, I was really surprised. Like many people here I remember the complete and utter crap HP used to make, only Compaq's were worse. After the merger i figured they would just end up making machines that were crap to the second power, yet someone in their management has decided to correct their bad name. The only real negative I can give them is that their BIOS is locked and extremely limited in options. Even though my 3550MX CPU can support DDR3-1600 memory, because their using the same base model for the non-MX CPU's they didn't certify on anything higher then DDR3-1333 memory. It's locked and signed with an RSA key so no way for me to load a modified unlocked BIOS.

[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]The two DV6's I have are incredibly good quality. No issues with the keyboards, screen or track pads. I was even surprised that they have nearly no bloatware installed by default.[/citation]
Fair enough. Maybe they're getting their act together. I won't be turning my ThinkPad in for one anytime soon (my precious! /gollum) but good for them. :)
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Of course I put my own Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on them, I have standards after all.[/citation]
Heh.
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]As I said, I was really surprised. Like many people here I remember the complete and utter crap HP used to make, only Compaq's were worse. After the merger i figured they would just end up making machines that were crap to the second power, yet someone in their management has decided to correct their bad name. The only real negative I can give them is that their BIOS is locked and extremely limited in options. Even though my 3550MX CPU can support DDR3-1600 memory, because their using the same base model for the non-MX CPU's they didn't certify on anything higher then DDR3-1333 memory. It's locked and signed with an RSA key so no way for me to load a modified unlocked BIOS.[/citation]
Eh, now that's bull$#!+, but I'm not too surprised. It sounds like something Microsoft would want for Windows 8.

My ex is pretty hard on technology (dented my poor old aluminum Powerbook and lied about it for months, and that's just the tip of the iceberg) and she had an HP laptop that lost a few keys...now, that wouldn't have surprised me, but when you go into retail stores and see floor model HP laptops similarly missing keys (and the Lenovos, Dells, and Asuses around them are fine), it really makes you wonder what they were thinking when they designed them.

So I told her to get a ThinkPad T420; problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.