Lenovo Laptop Black screen/Automatic Repair loop Thingy....Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2018
To save some potential time and stress, please don't type a bunch of technical terms and abbreviations thinking I know what they are. I'm not a technical expert. Unless I can figure it out really easily by googling or something.

Okay, if I'm doing stuff correctly, it's a windows 8 B50-30 Touch laptop.

So I did this stupid mistake of "accidentally" shutting down my Lenovo laptop in the middle of updating. Lesson learned.

When I turn on my computer, it'll show the logo screen and then that blue screen saying "your pc ran into a problem and they need to restart" for a split second (because it took practically a second for it to gather all the stuff it needs to restart) before going back to the logo screen, with "preparing automatic repair" at the bottom.

After a short bit, less than a minute, it'll sorta fade to black. Not...dead black (as if it's shut down), but black where there's nothing on the screen except for whatever inner light they're shining (hard to explain). It stayed like that for over a day. I pressed the power button to shut the computer down completely and turned it on again and it repeated the whole process.

Sometimes, when I turn it on it'll go straight to "preparing automatic repair" before going to that bright black screen again.

I googled some links and stuff, and one or two of them said something about novo buttons so I tried that...only to not have any idea what to do. The system recovery led to a screen that has a progress bar with "loading files" above which led straight back to "preparing automatic repair", going back to the black screen.

Is there a way to fix this? Or am I just gonna have to say goodbye to this computer?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help.

Solution
Shut down the computer, and press the Novo button using an unfolded clip. It's located in a small aperture on the right side of the laptop, next to the USB port. Select 'System Recovery' in the menu. You'll lose all data, but gain a factory-new laptop.
You don't need to dump the computer, but does sound like you need to do a full setup of Windows again if it can't repair the setup. Most systems should have a recovery option to reset the device, try using that. Note this will wipe it to like it was new, if you need to save anything from the system you would need to either boot of another disk like a Linux Live disk, or put the hard drive into another computer so you can copy things over before doing the re-installation of Windows.

Feb 24, 2018
Well...seeing as how the whole system recovery seems to be that recovery option...another, according to this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTb6YxcbI9U ), is using a USB os recovery drive to go to WinRe and then reset the computer from there (if it does). Of course, now I need to find the files for said drive and I can't seem to find it (or maybe I did, but then I didn't recognize it or something).

If you do know the recovery option for Lenovo, please give me specifics on what to do. Or if you found a link to whatever I need.

Also, completely unrelated. I managed to have my mouse appear on a black screen once. That's about it.

That recovery USB stick you needed to have made when the system was running, you do it from inside your working Windows if issues come up. You can try downloading the Windows 8 setup from MS, I think they still have that available or contact Lenovo and see if they have something you can get from them.

GreyCatz

Distinguished
Shut down the computer, and press the Novo button using an unfolded clip. It's located in a small aperture on the right side of the laptop, next to the USB port. Select 'System Recovery' in the menu. You'll lose all data, but gain a factory-new laptop.

Solution
Aug 12, 2018
I have the same exact problem. I have a Lenovo Edge 15. A little background, laptop was working great but wasn't using much as I had no ISP at the time. Once getting internet in my home I hard wired laptop to my netgear router. This is when the problems started.. everything you mentioned plus laptop did not recognize Any available wifi and didn't recognize that it was hardwired either. I tried a different computer an Hp Compaq.. again hardwired and then That computer which had previously been running fine broke too! ..coincidence??? Screen said "disc error" or something. Anyways I have read that my Netgear router was on a list that potentially carried a virus. Don't know if that's the case or not.. just thought I'd throw that in there. Back to the laptop, I did read somewhere to remove the battery while pressing the on button.. that it would hard boot your computer. I did not try this yet because you have to take the back off to access the battery and there are several tiny tiny screws that have to be removed in order to do so. I'm not computer savvy at all but will give this a try when I find a small enough screwdriver to take back off. I only mentioned the router thang cuz it could have caused the problem.. really don't know tho.. I will definitely let you know if removing the battery then putting back in works.

Sep 26, 2018

I'm having the same issue with Lenovo ideapad 110-15ISK , and I also disconnected & reconnect the battery to no avail. Stuck in a repair loop and can't get out. Warranty ran out in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.