[SOLVED] Lenovo laptop not powering on

delta_pak

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
Hi,

I have a Lenovo Flex 14 and it isn't power on; charging light comes on, however, when plugged into AC.

What I have done so far:
  • Power drain by pressing the power button for 30 seconds and then tapping it again.
  • Unplugged battery and tried powering on using AC.
  • Reset CMOS battery.
None of these have worked, and the laptop shows no sign of life upon pressing the power button, apart from a faint beep coming from the Super I/O chip area that is only audible when you are listening for it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
FIrst check charger with multimeter that it gives right voltage, or try another charger , some ideas below:

1. remove power button board from the motherboard after disasssemblying, remove cmos battery. Check that nothing is shorted. Plugin power cable (you sould boot without pressing power button since cmos battery is removed) if you boot then its bad power button board or the button itself on it not working / plastic cover , if you get nothing then plug off power cable and connect power button cable back to the motherboard

2. remove all the connectors from the motherboard including LCD cable, i mean usb board, sata connector cable, keyboard connector everything, leave power button cable connected, also leave fan connected ...
FIrst check charger with multimeter that it gives right voltage, or try another charger , some ideas below:

1. remove power button board from the motherboard after disasssemblying, remove cmos battery. Check that nothing is shorted. Plugin power cable (you sould boot without pressing power button since cmos battery is removed) if you boot then its bad power button board or the button itself on it not working / plastic cover , if you get nothing then plug off power cable and connect power button cable back to the motherboard

2. remove all the connectors from the motherboard including LCD cable, i mean usb board, sata connector cable, keyboard connector everything, leave power button cable connected, also leave fan connected :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VeSaJBRFZo

Do not remove the motherboard from the back cover yet. Check that no connector is touching the motherboard, expecially lcd cable. plugin power cable (try to boot with power button, it might start without)
if nothing plug power cable off
3. remove fan connector and quickly test with power cable if you get power on leds, plug cable off in 20seconds since this heats cpu fast.

do you see any corrosion on the motherboard, from liquid example?

Solution

delta_pak

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014

2. remove all the connectors from the motherboard including LCD cable, i mean usb board, sata connector cable, keyboard connector everything, leave power button cable connected, also leave fan connected :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VeSaJBRFZo

Do not remove the motherboard from the back cover yet. Check that no connector is touching the motherboard, expecially lcd cable. plugin power cable (try to boot with power button, it might start without)
if nothing plug power cable off
3. remove fan connector and quickly test with power cable if you get power on leds, plug cable off in 20seconds since this heats cpu fast.

do you see any corrosion on the motherboard, from liquid example?

#1 worked, thank you. I unplugged the laptop battery and took out the CMOS battery. and left it like this for about 3-4 hours. When I came back, I directly plugged in the charger instead of inserting the batteries, and the laptop booted up fine. Must be some BIOS-related issue.