Question [Lenovo] Laptop overheating because fans (almost) never spin up after boot

Oct 6, 2023
Hi there!

My current laptop has had a new problem for a few days now: when it boots, the fans spin up for about 1 second (probably just the check-up performed by the motherboard), and then they don't spin. Ever.

In some scenarios, when reaching high temperature, they may start to spin (for instance when I perform a stress test using `stress-ng` on Linux, they start at ~89°C), until they stop again. But this doesn't always happen, and sometimes when just using the laptop normally it will just overheat and immediately stop.

I checked the fans, they don't seem to have any problem, and when they manage to spin up during some specific high loads they can spin up pretty fast and they do manage to prevent the laptop from overheating, even with a stress test on all cores. I remember the problem also happened when playing media for too long, even though I haven't checked I guess this could be due to the iGPU getting too hot as well.

For reference, the laptop is a Lenovo 14ARE05. No visible damage on the motherboard of the fans, no dust (only a very little quantity, absolutely nothing to worry about).

When I go into the BIOS, I get three choices of colling: "Battery Saving Mode" (quiet), "Intelligent Cooling" (the default) and "Extreme Performance" (louder). On the default mode, I get crashes, and even with the latter I still get them as fast, even though it's supposed to make the fans go rogue earlier.

Any idea on what could cause this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated, as I can't use this laptop right now :(

Lutfij

Titan
You could try and see if your BIOS is pending an update. One other thing you can do is replace the thermal pads/paste with higher quality paste/pads. If the laptop is beyond your warranty period, you can try and replace the fan in your laptop. Did your laptop experience any power surge prior to the issue cropping up?

Oct 6, 2023
I just found out what the issue was: it seems like the CPU temperature readings are incorrect.

Basically, the PC just crashes while I was monitoring temperature with a light load. HwInfo displayed 50~60 °C on each core, and then it crashed. The underside of the laptop was burning hot.

So I guess the temperature sensor inside the CPU is dead, in which case I'm not sure what I can do about it :/