[SOLVED] Lenovo laptop - ticking noise every 6 seconds

tasmanman

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
I have a Lenovo laptop with a SSD. It's a little over 3 years old and it's a had a fair bit of use. About 2-3 days ago I started getting this clicking sound (ta-tick-ta-tick) every 6 seconds. Sometimes the sound becomes more scratchy. I noticed today it seemed hotter than usual. Otherwise everything is functioning as normal.

How worried should I be? What do you recommend (other than backing everything up, which I have done)? Thanks a lot.

Solution
Open it up and clean out the dust if any. Blow out the exhaust fans and make sure they are clean and that there is nothing lodged in the fan.

You could reapply thermal paste and see if that helps the temp. What are the temps?

Is there a built in cd/dvd drive?
Open it up and clean out the dust if any. Blow out the exhaust fans and make sure they are clean and that there is nothing lodged in the fan.

You could reapply thermal paste and see if that helps the temp. What are the temps?

Is there a built in cd/dvd drive?

Solution

tasmanman

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
Thanks a lot. I'll do what you suggest.

Things improved a bit yesterday - that weird intermittent sound came and went. Temps of both cores are currently low to mid 60s. It says the max is 80. No, there isn't a built-in CD/DVD drive.