Question Lenovo Laptop won't boot after crash ?

Aug 13, 2023
I purchased a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 15ARH7 laptop 1 month ago. I started using it 1-2 weeks ago. Today, while I was using the laptop it suddenly froze and immediately went to a black screen. The num lock and caps lock button didnt respond so i figured it was a full system crash. I held the power button to force a shutdown. When I try to restart the laptop the power button stays lit and the keyboard lights up for about 5 seconds but the screen stays off and the computer doesn’t boot. There are no other buttons lit up and there are no beeps.

All of my drivers were updated when I first booted up the computer. The GPU driver was also reupdated 5 days ago when a new release came out. I had no problems prior to today.

Ive tried the following things to remedy the problem while booting.

-Disconnected all external items(Which was only my mouse). Nothing.

-Windows+CTRL+Shift+B. The screen stays black.

-Using the NOVO button on the side of the laptop. It does not go to the Onekey Recovery and still does the same startup sequence where nothing happens.

-Trying to access the BIOS or Safe Mode using F2, F8, F12, Fn+F2,Fn+F8, Fn+F12(both pressing and holding on all of them). None brought up the BIOS menu or Safe Mode.

-Removing Charger, Disconnecting the Battery, holding power button for 30 seconds, Plug in the charger, and then turning it on. Still would not boot.

-Made sure RAM was seated properly. Nothing.

-Connecting to external monitor with an HDMI cable and trying to use Fn+F7 to switch to it. Nothing.

If this were a desktop I would have pulled the GPU and tried to start using the integrated graphics through the processor but since this is a laptop that isnt an option.(at least I dont think it is)

Any help or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Aug 13, 2023
Thats what I was afraid of. Ive just never seen a piece of hardware fail within 2 weeks, especially without any signs something was wrong.

I'll go through the warranty for repair/replacement.

Anyway, thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

Reactions: Aeacus
Aug 15, 2023
I purchased a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 15ARH7 laptop 1 month ago. I started using it 1-2 weeks ago. Today, while I was using the laptop it suddenly froze and immediately went to a black screen. The num lock and caps lock button didnt respond so i figured it was a full system crash. I held the power button to force a shutdown. When I try to restart the laptop the power button stays lit and the keyboard lights up for about 5 seconds but the screen stays off and the computer doesn’t boot. There are no other buttons lit up and there are no beeps.

All of my drivers were updated when I first booted up the computer. The GPU driver was also reupdated 5 days ago when a new release came out. I had no problems prior to today.

Ive tried the following things to remedy the problem while booting.

-Disconnected all external items(Which was only my mouse). Nothing.

-Windows+CTRL+Shift+B. The screen stays black.

-Using the NOVO button on the side of the laptop. It does not go to the Onekey Recovery and still does the same startup sequence where nothing happens.

-Trying to access the BIOS or Safe Mode using F2, F8, F12, Fn+F2,Fn+F8, Fn+F12(both pressing and holding on all of them). None brought up the BIOS menu or Safe Mode.

-Removing Charger, Disconnecting the Battery, holding power button for 30 seconds, Plug in the charger, and then turning it on. Still would not boot.

-Made sure RAM was seated properly. Nothing.

-Connecting to external monitor with an HDMI cable and trying to use Fn+F7 to switch to it. Nothing.

If this were a desktop I would have pulled the GPU and tried to start using the integrated graphics through the processor but since this is a laptop that isnt an option.(at least I dont think it is)

Any help or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
Hi , I had similar problems and in majority of cases was the bios chip , it just crashes , and we need to reprogram it and after that test , and in most cases if is not another problem will work , in this case a service is recommended for the procedure or you can take out bios battery and try to short pins in most cases will reset bios , after that try connecting power chord and power on laptop and see if will work , also you can clean ram memory and test again if is the same , most likely you need to go in a service for motherboard diagnostic.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and in majority of cases was the bios chip , it just crashes
Corrupt BIOS. Hence why flashing it fixes the issue.

or you can take out bios battery and try to short pins in most cases will reset bios
Clearing CMOS does not fix corrupted BIOS. What it does, is reverting all user made BIOS settings back to factory default. But when BIOS is corrupt, only flashing it may help.

I had similar problems
Similar problem doesn't equal to exact same problem. Here, i don't necessarily think OP's BIOS is corrupt. It sounds more like hardware failure (most likely MoBo is toast, but issue could be with CPU, RAM and PSU as well). Also, BIOS doesn't get corrupted out of the blue.

Aug 15, 2023
Corrupt BIOS. Hence why flashing it fixes the issue.

Clearing CMOS does not fix corrupted BIOS. What it does, is reverting all user made BIOS settings back to factory default. But when BIOS is corrupt, only flashing it may help.

Similar problem doesn't equal to exact same problem. Here, i don't necessarily think OP's BIOS is corrupt. It sounds more like hardware failure (most likely MoBo is toast, but issue could be with CPU, RAM and PSU as well). Also, BIOS doesn't get corrupted out of the blue.
Hi , i tested on different Lenovo models and it worked , this reset any user can do at home it a chance to work and after that if the laptop start is mandatory to update bios and if the laptop don't have another problem it will work , this is a basic thing that any person can try at home if will not work in that case the chip need to be reprogramed in a service , or the motherboard need to be verified in service if is faulted.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
if the laptop don't have another problem
That's the thing, without proper diagnostics, there is no telling what the issue is.

It's like saying to a person with flat tire that there's a hole in tire (since it's majority of cases) and they should replace the tire. But after doing proper diagnostic, it turns out that air valve is bad and valve needs replacement, not the tire.
Point is, can't jump into conclusions by how likely 1 solution could be. Diagnostics 1st and then we talk.

Reactions: DanielCalota

TRENDING THREADS