Question Lenovo laptop won't go past BIOS

Jul 21, 2019
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 310 with Windows 10. Yesterday everything was fine, shut down normally and today no matter what I do it won't boot.

I can access BIOS and Boot manager, but nothing else (HDD with windows is recognized). It goes to the windows logo and stays there for 10-15 mins until it finally crashes to blue screen and rinse and repeat.

I tried booting from USB with windows 10 to reinstall the windows, but still the same problem.

I also tried resseting the BIOS settings, tried to boot from both UEFI and Legacy, check if date and time settings are correct and all with same result.

Any idea what could have happened here?

I wasn't sure it this was the correct thread to ask this, so sorry if i got that wrong.

Lutfij

Titan
Try removing the stick(s) of ram from the laptop and then press and hold the pinhole button for 30 seconds(all while disconnected from the wall). The pinhole is to disconnect the battery from the laptop.

Is it possible to state which BIOS version you're currently on?

You might want to also see if the drive, when connected to a donor system, is operational(and it's not showing signs of damage, i.e a knock).

Is this laptop using hybrid storage, with a SSD used as cache?
It could also be faulty RAM. How many sticks of RAM, and is some of it soldered?
You could try booting off a Linux disk and run memtest86+ to make sure it's not your RAM that is defective.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This ideapad is a weird design, the battery isn't easily disconnected without dissembling the whole laptop casing. Will need to disconnect the battery shown in video before removing/replace ram.

It's only got one dimm slot, the other ram must be soldered.

Freezing issues could be hdd or memory related. Id perhaps get Lenovo or service centre to repair if you're not confident.

Jul 21, 2019
Is this laptop using hybrid storage, with a SSD used as cache?
It could also be faulty RAM. How many sticks of RAM, and is some of it soldered?
You could try booting off a Linux disk and run memtest86+ to make sure it's not your RAM that is defective.
It has only a HDD. There are two sticks of RAM and I doubt that both failed at the same time. (Will it have this error if only one failed?) Also I have no idea if they soldered.

EDIT: Will it boot linux disk, when it won't boot USB stick with Windows?

Jul 21, 2019
Try removing the stick(s) of ram from the laptop and then press and hold the pinhole button for 30 seconds(all while disconnected from the wall). The pinhole is to disconnect the battery from the laptop.

Is it possible to state which BIOS version you're currently on?

You might want to also see if the drive, when connected to a donor system, is operational(and it's not showing signs of damage, i.e a knock).
I doubt it's the drive, since it won't boot my USB stick either to reinstall windows. When I get home I'll try to reseat the ram sticks to see if that helps.

It has only a HDD. There are two sticks of RAM and I doubt that both failed at the same time. (Will it have this error if only one failed?) Also I have no idea if they soldered.

EDIT: Will it boot linux disk, when it won't boot USB stick with Windows?
Memtest86 is a very small operating system that can be found on many Linux boot disk, but it's not Linux - it is small enough to fit in the first mb of RAM. If your PC can POST, it can run memtest86.

Jul 21, 2019
Update on the problem:

I was away for 2 days and haven't touched my laptop and when I started it today it booted and ran for about 10mins and then again blue screen and back to the previous problem.

About the RAM:
I opened it up according to the video and reseated the RAM, but that unfortunately didn't help.

I haven't had the chance to try memtest86 yet.

I'm starting to thing that the problem is something else. Since it managed to boot windows after 2 days of not using it at all.

What could that mean?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Could mean the battery is crook? How to test that i don't know.

Try passmark memtest to rule out faulty ram. Run it for at least 5 passes.

Then chkdsk hdd. See section safemode with command prompt. https://m.wikihow.com/Run-a-Chkdsk-Function

If ram or hdd doesn't throw errors then decide whether to have a go at replacing the battery. Or send it to a service centre where they'll have the resources to go ahead with diagnosing parts and if need get in contact with Lenovo.

Or you can try Lenovo support yourself.