Question Lenovo Legion 5 (2022) hiccups ?

toxicslay

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
So I don't know what is the term to explain my problem but in random times I use the laptop (It can be while gaming/normal browsing, or any laptop work), it would suddenly lag for 1-2 seconds. The lag affects mouse movement, and the stuttering sound (to best describe it its like when you play a game and it suddenly dropped to 1 fps for a split second). This problem occurs randomly, sometimes in a session I use my laptop for a long period of time it happens, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Any idea on what causing this? If there's any more information I need to provide please feel free to ask and mention them. Thank you very much

toxicslay

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Hey there,

It's likely that there is some kind of throttling going on. What temps are you CPU at when this occurs?

Can you give the exact model of your laptop as there are many Lenovo Legion 5 models.

Cheers
Hi, thank you for the reply. My Lenovo Legion 5 model is Legion 5 15ACH6H with the Ryzen 7-5800H and RTX 3060 6GB. As for the CPU temps, I haven't checked but sometimes it happened when I'm not playing any games or not under any heavy loads.

Hi, thank you for the reply. My Lenovo Legion 5 model is Legion 5 15ACH6H with the Ryzen 7-5800H and RTX 3060 6GB. As for the CPU temps, I haven't checked but sometimes it happened when I'm not playing any games or not under any heavy loads.
Have you ever cleaned out the insides of the laptop? If it's dusty and full of gunk (which happens regularly with gaming laptop, then it'd probably time to do that. If the fans are dusty they don't clear the heat from the CPU/GPU. This can cause them to overheat and throttle. It will reduce clockspeeds to keep within a thermal envleope.

You can also look at something like this: Repasting My Lenovo Legion 5 |Replacing Old Thermal Paste| - YouTube

Re=-psating may help with the laptop overheating (if this is the issue) and reduce temps.

When the CPU gets hot, and throttles, it drops speeds from lets 4.5ghz to 2,6ghz to allow the CPU to cool. This causes stuttering.

Last edited:

toxicslay

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Have you ever cleaned out the insides of the laptop? If it's duty and full of gunk (which happens regularly with gaming laptop, then it'd probably time to do that. If the fans are dusty they don't clear the heat from the CPU/GPU. This can cause them to overheat and throttle. It will reduce clockspeeds to keep within a thermal envleope.

You can also look at something like this: Repasting My Lenovo Legion 5 |Replacing Old Thermal Paste| - YouTube

Re=-psating may help with the laptop overheating (if this is the issue) and reduce temps.

When the CPU gets hot, and throttles, it drops speeds from lets 4.5ghz to 2,6ghz to allow the CPU to cool. This causes stuttering.
Ah I see, that could be a possible problem and solution. Another question, is it possible there's a damage to the motherboard or any other components? Since it also sometimes happened when it's not on any heavy load. But I do not recall doing anything that can damage the laptop.

Ah I see, that could be a possible problem and solution. Another question, is it possible there's a damage to the motherboard or any other components? Since it also sometimes happened when it's not on any heavy load. But I do not recall doing anything that can damage the laptop.
I doubt there's damage, unless you have dropped it or given it a good shellacking. Doing 'general house duties' ( as in disassembling your laptop cleaning it. Taking out fans, cleaning them, and then re-applying new thermal paste to CPU/GPU. If it's not done regularly, your CPU may be throttling all of the time.

Download Throttlestop, and install it. Then run the app. Open the limit reasons tab, and then run a 120m stress test on your CPU. If you see any red light flicking on and off, then it means your CPU is throttling. It could be from on PL1, PL2, or EDPOther. If it flashes red with these as reasons, you know there's something going on with the CPU.