Question Lenovo Legion 5P - - - CPU Temp is at 95°C while gaming or any moderate workloads ?

Feb 19, 2023
Hey guys

I would really appreciate some help troubleshooting exactly why when doing gaming (on low-medium graphics) or any moderate workload my CPU temperature will skyrocket up to 95°C and more. I believe this issue is causing throttling because during gaming sessions especially I will notice my FPS drop down to 10-15 every minute or more.

I use a cooling pad with the laptop back up and have a desk fan constantly pointed in the direction of the laptop.

Here is a screenshot from OpenHardware showing the CPU temperatures.

View: https://imgur.com/a/L6KN22n

I recently took my laptop to a repair centre to replace the motherboard and asked them to reapply thermal paste which only seems to have amplified the probem (I had a problem before this anyway but not as bad)

One thing I have noticed is that when I put my hands where my fans would be blowing out air I don't seem to feel very much, not sure if that is normal or not. I can hear the fans whirling but not much seems to be happening.

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you verify what thermal paste they'd used for the reapplication? As for your motherboard, might want to check and see if the motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. You've stated a motherboard replacement, why did you need to do so?

any moderate workload my CPU temperature will skyrocket up to 95°C and more
What does resource Monitor in the OS show you when the system is idling(after OS boot)?

One thing I have noticed is that when I put my hands where my fans would be blowing out air I don't seem to feel very much, not sure if that is normal or not. I can hear the fans whirling but not much seems to be happening.
That could be an indication that the cooler hasn't been mounted properly.

Feb 19, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you verify what thermal paste they'd used for the reapplication? As for your motherboard, might want to check and see if the motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. You've stated a motherboard replacement, why did you need to do so?

any moderate workload my CPU temperature will skyrocket up to 95°C and more
What does resource Monitor in the OS show you when the system is idling(after OS boot)?

That could be an indication that the cooler hasn't been mounted properly.

Thanks for the welcome and support.

I will visit the repair shop this week and ask them what paste they used. In terms of why I replaced the motherboard I had an issue whereby the laptop would not turn on/come out of sleep mode and they advised me that it was a chipset issue and would need a new motherboard to fix it.

I have ensured I am on the latest BIOS version as per the Lenovo Support site.

Here is a screenshot of the Resource Monitor after OS Boot

View: https://imgur.com/a/nVcbxIp

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Can you also see what your processes show in Task Manager? With the info provided thus far, you don't seem to be suffering from a memory leak though I am curious, when the motherboard was replaced, did the shop suggest reinstalling the OS?

Feb 20, 2023
Those are dangerously high temperatures for your CPU.
Have you opened or serviced the laptop recently ? Are you certain the CPU has thermal paste applied before mounting the heat sink ?

Feb 19, 2023
Those are dangerously high temperatures for your CPU.
Have you opened or serviced the laptop recently ? Are you certain the CPU has thermal paste applied before mounting the heat sink ?

Yes I took it to a service shop last week where they told me they reapplied the paste, I have a feeling they have botched it somehow because how quickly it starts overheating.

I am going back to them tomorrow and ask them to check all the cooling components.

Feb 20, 2023
Yes I took it to a service shop last week where they told me they reapplied the paste, I have a feeling they have botched it somehow because how quickly it starts overheating.

I am going back to them tomorrow and ask them to check all the cooling components.
Cool, let us know if that solved the problem.

Feb 19, 2023
Hey guys I think it's fixed now the service shop opened up the fans and found some dust and gunk that I guess was blocking them.

I've also noticed that having a few Chrome tabs open while playing a game seems to push my temperature up also so I've switched to Firefox and don't seem to have the same issue.