TDCBob

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2012
I'd like this deal, please!
TomsDeal_LenovoLegion.JPG

Tom Sunday

Reputable
Jul 24, 2020
Yes its a punch to the wallet at $3,269 for the configuration as reviewed. I am just a forklift driver at Walmart on the third shift and will never be able to afford these kind of $$$. Probably no more than 0.2% of all the people can really afford the Legion as proffered. Surely this tech site is not devoted only for the upper priveledged view. Thus for me this review shouldn't even be here as it is not reality.

apw100

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
FWIW their own Legion 5 Pro gives 90%+ of the graphics and processor performance for less than 60% of the listed price. Cost efficiency drops fast at this range.

The i9 model isn't worth it. I bought the i7 version (same specs otherwise) and paid $2500 ($2700 after tax). It's easy to use the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to undervolt and overclock the i7 to achieve better than i9 results. Check out Tally Ho Tech's video...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuhpG_x_lOg&t=307s

Angstromm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Thank you for the fulsome review, appreciate it!

There are a couple of critical (to me) pieces of info missing in the review:

1. Only one of the two M.2 slots supports PCIe Gen4 speeds; the other slot is only Gen3. Very odd, that! And a deal breaker for me. That means a RAID-0 config will be limited to Gen3 speeds, nullifying any advantage to running RAID-0. Bummer.

2. Max RAM is 32GB. For those of us that do video processing, that's problematic.

Of all the laptops at this price-point I've been looking at, the Lenovo is the only one with either of these limitations. And it bedevils the imagination as to why Lenovo would have cooked this laptop like this. Very, very strange. Top-of-the-line CPU, GPU, display, build quality and Gen3!?! Can't pop in two 32GB sticks of RAM?!? What gives, guys?

The source of this info, btw, is Lenovo support and their “Lenovo Legion 7 16ITHg6 Product Specifications Reference” PDF.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022
Thanks for the fantastic review. Really appreciate it. Nearly bought one, but I spoke to a Lenovo sales rep and learned they've crippled the Thunderbolt 4 ports. The sales person told me they don't support Thunderbolt docks on the Legion laptops. Deal breaker :(

Status
Not open for further replies.