Question Lenovo Legion T7 and DDD4 challenge

Dec 24, 2020
Greetings from Ireland folks, and happy holidays while I'm at it!

New to the forum, and the reason I'm here is because I'm facing a head scratcher that I hope someone can enlighten me on. Cut the long story short, I got myself the latest Lenovo Legion T7 purely for gaming - my previous self-build outlived its usage, and given the unavailability of GPU's and PSU's to regular customers the pre-built seemed like a really good deal. So far so good, it's running sweet.

At any rate, the desktop came with 16Gb 3200 Mhz by Lenovo and I was going to upgrade with 64Gb 3200 Mhz Hyper X, 4x16 modules, which I got a great deal on during Black Friday. From the olden days I knew I may need to adjust the timings and voltages in DOCP or XMP - what I did not realize is that Lenovo doesn't provide neither capability in BIOS. The challenge is that, having swapped the sticks, the memory is bottlenecked @ 2400Mhz rather than 3200 Mhz - looking at CPU-Z (see CPU-Z s/shots) it appears that two sticks in JEDEC #8 and JEDEC #9 are running 1200Mhz, while XMP-3200 and XMP-3002 are running at 1600 and 1501 Mhz respectively. The million dollar question: is there any way to bring up the JEDEC ones to 1600Mhz on the Lenovo? If not, I assume that my only option to run 64Gb 3200 Mhz is to go with 2x 32Gb sticks in the XMP slots? I'll appreciate your guidance / advice as I could use some clarity on this - thanks in advance for your time & consideration!

Dec 24, 2020
Hey rgd1101, I added more s/shots from CPU-Z and Speccy here in myalbum. When I was looking at the tech specs before purchase all that was stated was there are 4x DIMM ports so I was happy with that, I wonder now if the two sticks in ports 1 and 2 are dodgy - might swap them with 3 and 4 tomorrow to see if the performance follows, unless there are any other ideas?

The data sheet in PDF is available here.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020
Ok, I replaced the Kingston with the original Lenovo ones and noticed that they support JEDEC up to level 15 / 1600 MHz, whereas Kingston stops at JEDEC #9 / 1200 MHz. Since I cannot enable XMP support (unless anyone has any workarounds?) it does sound like I need to find other modules that support JEDEC at 1600 MHz, or get some more sticks directly from Lenovo.

Thoughts, ideas?

Dec 24, 2020
Yes sir, Z490 and no XMP which is a major disappointment.... This is just recently released model so I hope they'll patch BIOS, I'll get in touch with them.