[SOLVED] Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBN - Stuttering, textures loading slowly

Sep 8, 2016
Hello,

I have problems with my laptop, it's little over a year old. As said in the topic, it has problems with stuttering and textures not loading in fast enough in almost every game that is a little more demanding. Even Minecraft has problems with lag... Im suspecting the 5400rpm HDD, I don't want to buy a new one before I'm 100% sure. Thermal throttling isn't the case too, games have problems from the beginning and temps are normal.

I ran Cinebench, HeavyLoad, FurMark and Heaven for about 35 minutes. GPU max temp was 58°C and 1100-1400GHz with memory at 4007MHz ; CPU max temp was 74°C and 3.1GHz the whole time. RAM was at 6.45GBs:

View: https://imgur.com/a/cJAXuJo

Specs:

CPU: I5 7300HQ 2.5GHz with max boost at 3.5GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Max-Q design
SSD(Windows drive): Samsung MZVLW128HEGR-000L2 128GB
HDD: Seagate ST2000LM007-1R8174 2TB 5400rpm
RAM: SK Hynix DDR4 8GB 2400MHz

Example from GTA V, I did a benchmark and it bugged. Same textures in singleplayer and online. GTA V had a problem with this from the beginning, but running GTA V installer and using the repair option always fixed it. Now it does nothing, setting to high priority helps but doesnt eliminate the problem, still a lot of textures aren't loading in properly:

View: https://imgur.com/a/AQNaXrq
(Sorry for the poor quality, I don't have GTA installed and I took this video from a chat)

Solution
D
Driver Booster hosed you. Time for a Clean install

that is garbage software and never works correctly. known for messing up PCs worldwide.

Never use driver installer utilities basically. Go to the manufacturers website or pc support page and get your drivers there.

i would clean install and see if everything works as expected. if so, leave it alone, if not, get the chipset/network/sound and graphics drivers you need from your pc or motherboard support page.
D

Deleted member 14196

5400 rpm drives should never be used for anything. SSDs are cheap, a Crucial MX500 would make it like a new machine almost.

I think you are right about the HDD, when stuttering and hitching, watch the Windows Resource Monitor and select the drive tab, sort on Bytes Read so you can see if the hdd is getting clobbered.

you may also have the wrong drivers on your system.

Sep 8, 2016
5400 rpm drives should never be used for anything. SSDs are cheap, a Crucial MX500 would make it like a new machine almost.

I think you are right about the HDD, when stuttering and hitching, watch the Windows Resource Monitor and select the drive tab, sort on Bytes Read so you can see if the hdd is getting clobbered.

you may also have the wrong drivers on your system.
I'll check that out later when GTA V finishes installing. For the drivers I have used driverbooster and Geforce Experience. I have always been thinking why Lenovo uses 5400rpm HDD's for pretty expensive gaming laptops. Especially this 2tb one, 1tb 7200rpm HDD is cheaper.

D

Deleted member 14196

that is garbage software and never works correctly. known for messing up PCs worldwide.

Never use driver installer utilities basically. Go to the manufacturers website or pc support page and get your drivers there.

i would clean install and see if everything works as expected. if so, leave it alone, if not, get the chipset/network/sound and graphics drivers you need from your pc or motherboard support page.

Solution
Sep 8, 2016

I'll check the HDD thing first and then try a clean install. I used driverbooster when I got this laptop and when I did a clean install. So you might be right then, It did install some Nvidia drivers and etc but I had them installed already so.

Sep 8, 2016

So, I just used resource monitor with GTA V. Textures were not loading in fast enough, but resource monitor disk graphs stayed in green. Going to try clean install now.

Sep 8, 2016

Seems that clean install fixed it, might be a very slight delay but nothing major. Going to get a SSD and should be perfect then. Thanks!:D