Question Lenovo Legion Y520 CPU compatibility

ricod306

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
Hi Guys
I wish to know if the bios or chipset of a Lenovo Legion Y520 will support the following chips if I wish to install them:

Intel Core i7-8750H
Intel core i9-8950HK

The laptop has the intel core i5-7300HQ, the exact same laptop is sold with a Core i7-7700HQ which is FCBGA1440 socket.

All of these CPU's except the i5 runs a max TDP of 45W.

Is it possible to install one of these chips without the bios malfunctioning (given a fresh install of windows is done after installing the chip). I know some laptops don't boot with different CPU's (newer or older gen's).

Or is the motherboard's chipset of the laptop a tad bit too old for these chips to be compatable?

ricod306

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
Hi Guys
I wish to know if the bios or chipset of a Lenovo Legion Y520 will support the following chips if I wish to install them:

Intel Core i7-8750H
Intel core i9-8950HK

The laptop has the intel core i5-7300HQ, the exact same laptop is sold with a Core i7-7700HQ which is FCBGA1440 socket.

All of these CPU's except the i5 runs a max TDP of 45W.

Is it possible to install one of these chips without the bios malfunctioning (given a fresh install of windows is done after installing the chip). I know some laptops don't boot with different CPU's (newer or older gen's).

Or is the motherboard's chipset of the laptop a tad bit too old for these chips to be compatible?
Sorry for my mistaken Question.

I just came across a post that stated that these chips and most probably all laptop CPU's are hard soldered to the motherboards. These upgrades are probable with the correct machinery but yeah I assume it will be easier to buy a new one :|