Lenovo legion Y520 Overheating

UmeshNanI

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
HI Guys...
one week back i got my lenovo legion Y520 laptop which have I5 7th gen,8Gb Ram,gtx 1050Ti graphics card
yesterday i was playing Tomclancy's Rainbow six Siege game with high settings using a pillow under my lappy instead of cooling pad sorry!!! to say this bcz i dnt have a cool pad. i played about 45 min continuously . suddenly i just put my hands under my lappy to change my lap position i felt so much hot there which i cant bare!!! i really got shocked y it was so much hot.... over heated alot
and i shutdown my lap at that time & i turned on my Lenovo nerve sense cooling fan..it cooled abit i frightened alot bcz its my first and new lap i just ran my lenovo vantage app and ran hardware test. the test was pass with no error. wen i opened my youtube and watched a hd 1080p videos . while m watching a video m getting a glitch or disturbances suddenly i dnt knw wat it is... for every 10 or 12 videos the disturbance is comming so i m frightened alot i need to knw is everything ok with my lap or anything wrong is happening plz give me anssss!!!!!!!!!!!

But my games is running smooth with no problems!!!!! but i dnt knw y that disturbances are comming suddenly

Solution

it is possible everything is fine, since it only happened once - if it always overheats for long periods then the other components take a beating - have seen motherboards, hard drives, batteries go bad prematurely due to overheating.

I would get a cooling pad, then run some benchmarks like Futuremark's 3dmark, pc mark or maybe vr mark (the free editions of course) then compare your results to others with your model.

If you want to test normal video playback, try downloading them offline and viewing them, possible now on netflix and...

jr9

Estimable
- Gaming laptops with graphics cards get very hot when gaming. This is normal. I don't think there is anything wrong with the laptop if it does that.

- If you are getting breaks in video playback on YouTube that is also normal. Sometimes the connection breaks or the video needs to buffer. If you have issues with video playback when watching videos off your hard drive then I would be concerned.

So yea, this was effectively blocking the cooling vents - it should have throttled to the point of shutdown instead of overheating and damaging it, so if it's persistent with problems you may have to RMA it. Best get a cooling pad and never use a pillow especially with a gaming laptop!

UmeshNanI

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

thanks 4 reply bro..
i m nt talking about buffer bro... the actual problem with google chrome wen i m watching video in utube in 1080P
its like glitch some disturbances in video but while m watching videos in firefox and in harddrive its ok so... better i m thinking its chrome problem....and games also like pubg and r6s its doing well and gud..i ran tests in lenovo vantage!! all tests passed bro so i m still frightened dont know plz plz is everything now ok with my lappy ???????

UmeshNanI

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

so u r saying now there is no problem with my Lappy?????bcz i ran leneovo vantage tests all tests passed but still have something in my mind is it good or having any problem

it is possible everything is fine, since it only happened once - if it always overheats for long periods then the other components take a beating - have seen motherboards, hard drives, batteries go bad prematurely due to overheating.

I would get a cooling pad, then run some benchmarks like Futuremark's 3dmark, pc mark or maybe vr mark (the free editions of course) then compare your results to others with your model.

If you want to test normal video playback, try downloading them offline and viewing them, possible now on netflix and youtube, watch the offline copies then you won't have to worry about network issues disturbing playback.

Solution